Monday, May 6, 2013

my Week

Tuesday evening I attended a fundraiser for the 2015 Lincoln Funeral Commission at Edwards Place. This was sent to my by Cheri Fry (pictured on the right) and also in this picture is Pam Brown, who often impersonates Mary Todd Lincoln.  She said it just didn't seem appropriate to be at the funeral events as Mary.  Even our Lincoln impersonator, Fritz Klein, came as himself.
Here is a group of the ladies in the Soldiers Aid Society.  All they said was that we were not to wear a camp dress.  I still had my ball gown out from last weekend.  I did have a dark spot on it that I had to clean up before this.  I figure that a fund raiser would need a best impression for the money to come in so I put on my best.
Wednesday I had exercise class in our new location from the 7th floor now on the 6th floor.  We were warned not to drop our weights to respect those on the 5th floor.

After work I had my first ride on the Honda to the American Legion Riders meeting.  Sure it wasn't far but it was nice.  We are planning our American Legion Legacy Poker Run for Jun 22.

Went to a Civil War Reenactment in Delavan, IL.  The road to the reenactment site from the intersate was lined with flags.  This was a nice show but it rained.  Apparently it rained bad down in Springfield but not so bad up north.  So I brought them some rain and it started shortly after I got there.  I didn't dress in period because of it.  Still my jeans were wet to my calves.  I'm glad I listened to our dance mistress, Connie, who said it wasn't worth getting gussied up to dirty my fine dress.  When I got home, I had a box in the mail with rubber rain tarp that I had ordered.     We'll be ready next time.  Now it will never rain ever ever ever again.  I brought home my bones from the ribs and the dogs were happier than usual to see me.  The next day they had stiff stool.  Ha!
There are some pictures in the local news here:
http://www.pjstar.com/photos/x1213313578/Civil-War-Days-in-Delavan?page=0
and professional photographer's are here:
http://tgdavison-photography.smugmug.com/Other/Delavan-Civil-War-Re-Enactment/29275405_372THN#!i=2495963274&k=G6dFW8d

Sunday morning I went to church.  It was raining.  Afterward I went to the ABATE Freedom Rally that kicks off motorcycle awareness month.  I decided not to ride because of the rain.  Since I was part of the color guard, I didn't think riding was as important as previous years.  I was a bit bold to non-conform to the uniform by throwing on my vest but I said "what the hell, I'm on both ends of this color guard".  The rain kept the crowd down drastically from previous years.  Well, as I departed the house en route, the skies had cleared.   I started to regret not doing both the ride and the color guard.  I met at the post where we discussed the cloth cap over the bucket.  One of the 4 of us forgot the post cap.  I did not like those bucket hats.  We found him a loaner cap.  We carpooled over and did 3 practice runs.  The VFW flag pole had a "wardrobe malfunction" which Rep Ray Poe happened to save the day with some tape. When the bikes arrived we posted colors.  After that, the guys went to Boone's Saloon.  Since I was an ABATE member and these were my friends, I stayed.  During the ceremony, the wind had tipped the American flag and one of the bikers held it.  Since the VFW flag (on my side of the stage) was taped, I thought it best to stand right next to it.  Just as the ceremony was ending and bikers were barely socializing...the rain came again...and poured.  The four of us went back to the post and took the VFW flag pole apart.  I brought the flag home to mend the gold fringe that was gaping before it splits more. 

There was an open house on Sunday for a house that Sean is looking into since his apartment got robbed.  I went to look at it.  I like it.  It has a nice yard and man cave.
http://www.fsbolocal.com/viewPropertyAd.htm?id=16768

Sunday was the first day of a new sale at "Tuesday Morning" and I wanted the rain barrel they had advertized for under $70.  Well they didn't have any.  The ad mentioned "selected locations" so that's their excuse.  I did put my name on a waiting list.

I had chicken dinner at church to support a youth camp.  Yum.





No comments:

Blog Archive