Monday, January 28, 2013

My Week


Tuesday evening I met with the ladies of the Soldiers Aid Society.  We talked about the upcoming Civil War Fashion show at Edwards Place February 23d. 
 http://www.springfieldart.org/civil-war-fashion-show/

I went to Speedy Lube on Wed and they put a sticker on my windshield for the next change at 3K.  Should be double that with synthetic oil.  I also had the fuel injection job.  Now my engine light is on.  He said it would go off in a little while but was on all weekend.

Thursday, after work, I stood in a PGR flag line for  Bruce L. Gibson but only the last hour of the visitation.   I dare save taking time off from work while our union is pushing for a strike vote.

I got a box returned that I had sent to my adopted soldier in Afghanistan.  I have been getting back the letters that I had sent him for about 2 months but on chat he swears he's still there till March.  I adopted Kwame who is there til May while I keep Adrian in my prayers.  Saturday, Big Lots had a 20% off sale on anything so it was a good time to pick up items for the soldier's boxes.

 Saturday evening I went to the Lee-Jackson Ball in Belleville. hosted by Lt. George E. Dixon Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans.  There was even a Scarlet in a green curtain dress there.  The lower level ballroom is usually rented out for events but the upper portion is a Masonic Temple which we were given a tour.  The ceremony involved a salute to the decendants and a ceremony to honor the dearly departed members of the camp including Lee and Jackson with a table ceremony and the NCO flipped the glass at each sitting.


Sunday morning was icy to my surprise since the sky coming home late last night after the ball was clear and full of stars and a full moon.  Needless to say I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans for our Memorial Mass at 10AM at the Cathedral.  Many from our group had shown up for a change and Joan thought that the roof would cave in when Cole even showed up.  I thought it would be a great opportunity for a photo.  I also uploaded this to our post's website.
I did have a few sliding stops at the intersections on the way to church downtown.  Fortunately not too much Sunday morning traffic.  I just had a chill all day.  It was cold in church and my hands were cold.  Quite contrary to the evening ball with a sleeveless ball gown off shoulders in which the dance warmed me up.  Especially when it got aerobic like as the music sped up.  Then I had to step outside for fresh air in the cold.

While on the  Lt. George E. Dixon Camp website, I found a photo they had of me from Wreaths Across America.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/civilwarfamily/8279397596/in/set-72157632260129747/



No comments:

Blog Archive