Thursday, January 24, 2013

My Week

Tuesday evening I got my chicken dinner at the VFW and brought one home to my son. I ate "IN" so I could enjoy Jerry's 80th birthday.

Lesson for Thursday: Always be prepared for when someone brings their little kid to work. But that's not the only reason I have a Tickle Me Elmo...sometimes one just needs a good laugh.  In the evening, I went to an ABATE meeting and officers were elected. We also discussed an upcoming swap meet which I created an event on Facebook.



Friday I had lunch at Steak and Shake with Michael. I had a nice cranberry nut salad with chicken. Since it was crowded so we sat at the counter. I believe we get better attention there anyway. Although the service is good for a busy lunch time and there is plenty of help. While eating I can watch the cook staff behind the counter. Couple of older gentlemen probably need more $ in their retirement. I felt so sorry for the man that was flipping burgers and his shoe was untied. I knew he couldn't tie it during the heavy period and also removing his gloves. So when we were done and things seemed to slightly slow he turned around for a breather and I waved him toward me. I tied his shoe. The waitress whom we blocked temporarily, said "That's the nicest thing I've seen in a long time". :)
Saturday the weather was wonderful and motorcyclist were all about. I couldn’t get mine to start. That's what I liked most about the aero, less maintenance but it’s not fool proof.

I liked Mr Battery. When I needed a bat for the Yamaha, they were cheaper than Walmart (who wanted me to add my own acid and charge it) and even all motorcycle places. Just had to drop off the old and pick up the new. Trouble is that I can’t wrench that bolt off under the seat. I may be grounded. 

Saturday I went to the annual meeting for the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight.   Well I guess I didn't win the quilt raffle.  The guest speaker was from Ohio and the founder.  His speech was great.  He echoed a lot of what we knew, that World War II veterans waited a long time for their memorial and now many did not have the means to see it and were getting up in years.  The first four veterans when on a private plane and the idea was presented to a skeptical family who were worried about this chance of a lifetime to turn out to be a scam.

Sunday the temperature dropped drastically. I went to a pancake breakfast after church. The boys came over to watch football and stayed home after that with a log in the fireplace.
Monday was a holiday…a cold day off at that. That also means one less exercise class this week. I stayed home until the VFW meeting in the evening. I updated the post’s website with information from the meeting while on my laptop: http://vfwwebcom.org/il/post755/

Tuesday I mailed out 2 boxes to soldiers and got a bunch of forever stamps before the increase next week. Then I met up with the ladies from the Soldiers Aid Society who hang around and knit and discuss reenacting. There will be a Civil War fashion show at Edwards Place on Saturday February 23, 2013 and documentation was shared. I need to fill it out. I’ll probably wear my Widow’s weeds and display my Vivandière outfit on my manikin.

Now, the best for last.  Alan got the word that he was selected 'readjustment technician' position at the Peoria Veterans center.   He hopes to start next month.  I sure wish him well.  He's been unemployed the two years since he graduated from college.










No comments:

Blog Archive