Monday, January 14, 2013

My Week

I sent out 3 boxes to our soldiers in Afghanistan this week.  Hope they enjoy the goodies and I will use my imagination of the grand opening.

Tuesday I met with the ladies of the Womens Overseas League.  I got a reimbursement check to defray the cost of the postage of the boxes sent to our soldiers.  Thanks ladies.   I also shared a thank you card from one of the recipients of the boxes.  Three of the ladies (Vietnam nurses) explained the origin of her name as being of Vietnamese origin.

Tuesday evening I attended my first meeting of the Soldiers Aid Society.  We met in Beth's home because that way she didn't have to worry about child care.  They had to make a vote for me as a new member.  I knew most of the ladies there from being at reenactments. 

Wednesday evening I went to an AmVets meeting.  Both of my sons are members but only one attends and he eats before we meet at the restaurant because the food is not that great.  As it was, I safely ordered chicken strips and only ate one of them and brought the rest home.  Yep, my son who doesn't go to the meeting will eat it but not go to the meeting and have his own meal.

Thursday the weather was pleasant but a little rain so I decided to wear a skirt to work.  This may make yesterday's rough day at work start off a little more pleasant.  Besides it was payday.  Then...the decrease in my paycheck ....the equivalent of bill payment.

In the evening I went to a meeting of the Catholic War Veterans.  I inherited a binder that was maintained by the previous historian.  It was very interesting to see past activity.  I've never met the person who created this album.  After the meeting I went to get dog food and a birthday card for my son's birthday on Friday.

I got my tickets for the 150th Anniversary Ball on Apr 20th.



Saturday I took a tour and preliminary interview with Dianne Blom from Montvaille Senior Estates who would like to have Civil War dancing on President's Day.  There was a free lunch just for going.  Afterward, I went to the Illinois State Military for a presentation titled.  Illinois State Military Museum Historians will display weapons, web gear, uniforms, and artifacts that illustrate the change in U.S. Army uniforms from blue to brown.

Friday we had a high temperature of about 63 and Monday about 20.  Brrr.  Dogs didn't get to go for a walk much in the cold.  They'll have to use the back yard.  Sunday we had a ice coated trees and cars but the road was fine.  I put a log in the fireplace.  I had difficulty opening the car door to go to church.  I was the second reader at Mass and this reading was Titus: 2-11-14; 3;4-7 for the Baptism of our Lord.  Now here's the tricky part, that's 2 long paragraphs ~ one long sentence each. What if I tried to say 75 words in one breath?  I took advantage of commas and conjunctions.
I sewed up a hem on a green wool skirt (set)  that I got on ebay for $15 + shipping.Of course I need to shorten the hem but they glued this on. I had to cut this center hem out and sew it together.  The rick rack trim that was on the skirt was 'farby' anyway. 




I had waited a long time for the trim around the skirting that was ordered in November.  It came the day after I'd filed a complaint.  It was supposed to arrive NLT Dec 17 and arrived on Jan 11.  Oh well, I did get a reversal of fees so it was free then.

In the evening I attended the 114th Commanders Dinner at the Chesapeake Seafood house.  It was great to see the reenacters all cleaned up rather than full of black powder.  Since it was cold, I wore the wool skirt that I had just hemmed along with my red wool thigh high socks.  Also wore my heavy paletote. My head was cold though so I ordered a knit bonnet the following morning.  I had bourbon salmon.  I asked a few about a spin-off of the Springfield International Folk Dancers that would just specialize in simple specialized Civil War Ball dances.  SIFD had turned down a senior home because the request was on a work day and would charge for the performance.  Actually President's Day was requested and that's a day off.  Seems to be favorable among the Civil War reenactors but the finger is pointing back to me.  Music and equipment would be needed not to mention learning how to call the dances.  If I limit this to the simpler dances that may be fine but no way could I pull this off by President's Day.





No comments:

Blog Archive