Monday, February 4, 2013

My Week

Well we had record hi temps Tuesday of 65, I thought it might be a good day to wear a skirt to work. Well then the news says possible tornadoes and Hi winds. Hmm, skirt alert! My dog would not go for a walk. I had to put her Thunder Shirt on.  Then on Friday morning I woke to only 4 degrees.

We had dance practice Monday night with the Springfield International Folk Dancers. We learned Miss Stewart's jig. SIFD like that Scotish stuff and a few wore those lil leather shoes. I like it but don't have time for all that and need to specialize in Civil War dance.  I figure that if Gale Red can call dances, so can I.  I'm trying to put this together for smaller dance demonstrations such as seniors or something.  I ordered a few CDs on Amazon that would be great for ball dances.

Tuesday I had lunch at McCormicks.  Yum.  I had bought a rear wiper blade at Advance Auto Parts because they've always been kind enough to put them on but could not get the rear blade on.  I had asked Speedy Lube who services my car and couldn't so I took the blade to Ruggless who did it for no charge.  Love you guys.  After work the sky became real dark.  We need the rain.   I went to Edwards Place for a small group discussion on the restoration.  Curator Erika Holst showed guests or a behind-the-scenes look at the restoration currently underway in the dining room. We learned about the history of the room, the restoration plans, the restoration work done so far, and see the historical discoveries that have been made with the removal of old wallpaper, carpeting, and doors. A lot of work went into research for the right look.  We saw the bare wood floor under the dining room which displayed a scorch in the floor where a wire once led to the kitchen for Mrs Edwards to call with the tap of her foot.  The exposed pocket doors showed some original wallpaper way in the back which we could see with a flashlight.  This is the wallpaper that Abraham Lincoln saw when he was there.  On top of that, a little peice of newspaper about the size of a quarter was found.  Now it would be hard to date because of its size but there were important clues in the words "sensation between the states".  Wow.

So my son got my motorcycle started.  That was a relief.  Very frustrating when you can't get the seat off.  Next opportunity I get, I'll have pigtails exposed from under the seat for a trickle charger.  I'll be getting an oil change in the spring and that may be a good opportunity.  I should have done it in the fall but with my vacation to France and Capitol City Motorsports moving to a new location put things off.

Wednesday the exercise class I attend at lunch had a substitute leader and I was real sore on Thursday morning.  I got out of bed and my legs were sore just lowering myself on the toilet.  Ouch!


As a blogger, I added a Soldiers Angels blog in my follow list. Soldiers' Angels is proud to honor Angel volunteers who will be receiving the President's Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) for 2012.

Friday evening I braved the cold back room to scan a bunch of family photos.

Saturday morning I got ready to volunteer at the Old State Capitol.  They are very short handed but it's also not a tourist season.  I gave one tour but that did help cover the lunch break for the one and only staff worker.  Later I went to have wine with the boys and friends from the vet center at "Its All About Wine.

Sunday we had our  throats were blessed at church for the Feast of St. Blaise.  I said a prayer of thanksgiving for my son landing a job for which I've been praying for.  I also prayed for our soldiers.  It's been so cold.  I threw a log in my fireplace.  I have an electric mattress warmer that is missing a cord.  I stopped by the Goodwill but none.  I believe the Salvation Army has a bunch.  Otherwise I'll post a "wanted" on freecycle.  

I stayed home for the Superbowl.  I got some sewing done that I had been putting off.  I put a collar on my widow's weeds and trimmed my parasol. I had gotten a simple parasol on Ebay.
  


 I had picked up a lace skirt at a thrift store with an interesting lace pattern hoping I could use it and I  finally found a use for it.

Most of the Victorian photos showed the small parasols with long handles rather than large umbrellas we see today.




I'm looking forward to the Blue and Grey Commemorative Ball in St Louis Apr 20, 2013
http://www.nationalblueandgreyball.com/

Congratulations to the Ravens!



No comments:

Blog Archive