Monday, December 24, 2012

My week

Tuesday evening I got my chicken at the VFW and afterward I went to the Christmas on the Front event held at the Illinois State Military Museum.  Gene followed me there because he's never been there and really liked it.  I can't believe his buddies on the Sangamon County Burial Detail didn't tell him about this local gem of a museum.  There were WW2 reenactors in the trenches with a lighted path to get there. 

Wednesday evening I went to church for group photos for the directory.  I was in the group photo for the Eucharistic Ministers and the group of lectors.  Afterward I went to the VFW for line dance practice.

Thursday morning I awoke to 51 degrees.  By late lunch, it started snowing and blowing.  I got the ball rolling to call off our the ABATE meeting to be held at 7PM.  It was supposed to be an important meeting because of elections.  I posted a notice on facebook and hopes no one will be crazy enough to go in this blizzard. I made it home in the white out. Back porch screen door is blown shut so the doggies won't be able to go out on their own. I can hear the whistling wind over the roof. It scares Marley and she's hiding in her safe place. Even too windy for a fire in the fireplace. Dare I put my new trash can out for pick up day tomorrow?  Results were a tree down at work and my plastic Nativity scene all messed up.

Saturday morning I went to St Louis to the Old Courthouse for a Civil War Ball.  This was especially nice because Christmas Parties and shopping was done and the comradeship and dance was for my pleasure. We had a workshop dance in the morning and then open dancing at noon.  Since it took place in the afternoon, I wore my day dress instead of my ball gown.  This dress is a bit longer so I had to wear a bigger hoop to take it up a bit.  I felt really bad for the young ladies with the ill fitted dresses that were too long and they were tripping on their hems.  One asked how long we've been dancing because we we seemed to know the dances.  I was flattered but I replied just a year.  The beginning of the ball started with a reenactment of renewal of wedding vows and the couple had led the Grand March.  At the end of the ball, in the center of the rotunda, I witnessed a young couple as he had knelt down to propose to her.  I had to congratulate them of course.  Afterward, a group of the reenactors went to eat at Guidos on the Hill.  I got home late and couldn't wait to get out of my clothing...especially the corset.  Photos courtesy of Mark Morgan.





Sunday morning I went to church and was a Eucharistic Minister.  The deacon opened his sermon by saying "When was the last time you danced?"  I knew this was a sermon to remember.  Point was that King David danced publicly before the Arc of the Covenant and John danced in his mother's womb when Mary was the vessel of Jesus.  I felt so full of Joy today as I ready for Christmas and light all 4 candles on my Advent Wreath.  My candles did get out of control and had to be put out.  The white candle in the center which is lit on Christmas day got melted by the other 4 candles.

Bentley's hacking has gotten worse.  He has an enlarged heart.  According to PetMed.com dogs with this condition are given 6 to 24 months to live.  Poor little guy still is happy and not lethargic as the article says but hacks so bad.  Alan refers to it as "honking".

I wanted to get a prime rib for our Christmas dinner since it is on sale but the cuts were too large for just the 3 of us.  Smallest was 7lbs at $51.  I settled on a ham.




No comments:

Blog Archive