Monday, December 3, 2012

My Week

My Christmas cactus that I got last year is flowering.  This is a real miracle for my reputation with indoor plants.

Monday I finally gave in with this sore throat that I had since I returned from my trip to France.
 There was open walk-ins being taken.  There is a sign that says if you've been waiting more than 30 minutes to go to the counter.  Somehow I slept past that and had to be awoken when my name was called.  Well my throat was red but not strep.  Dr believes it could be stomach acid and I was prescribed something similar to Prilosec.

Tuesday's lunch break was spent at the capitol rotunda.  There was a ceremony for the dedication of the Nativity display.  Illinois is one of only 2 states that have a Nativity display.
Illinois one of two states to erect a Nativity Scene in state capitol

The lottery was building up $500 million so my coworker bought me a ticket knowing that I'd never buy one for myself.

Sunday I picked a name tag off of a tree at church to get an unwrapped gift for.  I choose the name of a 12 year old girl.  

I had been disappointed that Joanne Fabric store ran out of my needed trim for a project I had been working on and had not purchased enough to finish the job.  So I thought maybe that Joane would have it online.  Drats!!!  So I googled further and found my trim on eBay.  Whoo Hoo!

During lunch on Wednesday, I atteneded a union meeting.  Since this is on our time, I brought my lunch.  I sat down at the table and nobody else brought their lunch.  One lady said I was bold.  I showed them what I was eating, green beans and fried chicken liver (left over from the VFW chicken dinner) and all but one unanimously "Ewwww".   Apparently Larry was envious one.

I bought a new paletote for my reenacting.


Wednesday night I went to the VFW line dance lesson.  I guess I need more practice. I'll probably make a seperate blog for lessons like I did with the Civil War Ball dances for First Night at the Old State Capitol.

I got my family portrait in the mail that was taken for the church photo directory.  I wore my Catholic War Veterans garb.



Saturday morning I got an email telling me about the annual Christmas Ornament ceremony at the Illinois Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Oakridge Cemetery.
Photos of the event are on the newspaper's website:
  Christmas Remembrance at Vietnam Memorial

It was so nice out that I rode the motorcycle there.  Attendees were allowed to place an ornament with a name of a KIA on the fur tree near the memorial.  On the way home, I was at a stop light and a woman in the car next to me gave me the thumbs up for riding this first day of December.  Can you believe it was 59?  I told her she had a nice dog in her car.  Yeah but she does ride well and I told her neither do my dogs.
When I got home I walked the dogs and we all took a bath.


I attended the 1850s Carol Singing
Saturday, December 1, 2012
5:45 p.m. Music Prelude | 6:00 p.m. Service
—Donations go to the Salvation Army Tree of Lights—
This Christmas season, travel back to the 1850s: the Lincolns, portrayed by Fritz Klein and Pam Brown, will greet visitors. If you wish, attend in mid-19th century attire along with our musical guests, the Sangamon Woodwind Consort and the Capital Chamber Singers, soprano Matilda Edge.
http://www.lincolnschurch.org/home.html


 This is the latest dress I found on eBay listed as petite.   I didn't have to make any alterations except the bonnet lining.  It was straw so I pulled an eyelet shirt from the closet and used the fabric to line the under brim.  I had saved a shoulder pad and put that in the back of the inside but I was having trouble keeping the hat from sliding off my head with my fine hair.  Next project is to keep that from happening again.

Sunday was real nice too.  I read the second reading and delivered my unopened Christmas gift for a 16 yr old girl through Mercy charity,  Instead of putting her  unwrapped gift in a shopping bag like everyone else, I put it in a shoulder purse that she can use.  When I brought it to church, a friend mentioned that it matched what I was wearing making it even harder to give it  up.

I did some grocery shopping and used my County Market discount coupons.  Some items like the pasta and macaroni and cheese I took over to the food pantry.

I came home and started cooking up a German dinner for the family.  I got great compliments from them too.  They are leery of some of my past experiments in the kitchen.   It is so nice out that I am writing my blog from my back porch.  Yeah that means I cleaned off the table back there too.

Monday morning's weather man said "Here it is Dec 3d and it's 60 degrees at 6AM.  It was so nice that I decided to wear a skirt to work.  Well, while walking the dogs, my panty hose slipped down to my knees because they were so old the elastic waist rotted and wouldn't hold.  Quickly made a change for another pair, also been sitting awhile but these seem to be holding.














No comments:

Blog Archive