Monday, December 10, 2012

My Week

Tuesday I stopped over at the YMCA to pay for my exercise session.  Next door is the Dana Thomas House and I saw Senator McCann coming out.  Took awhile for us to recognize each other in the dark.  He told me there was an event for some of the politicians and such going on but that I should feel free to go inside.  The luminaries lit the entrance.  Inside I met an old friend, Chet, who used to be at the Old State Capitol.  We chatted a bit and he encouraged me to sign in and get a name tag.  It was weird signing in below others that had senator by their name.  Well I walked around and looked at all the lovely decorations.  I looked around and had a glass of wine and then went to pick up some VFW chicken.

 Wednesday was the Feast Day of St Nicholas.  I have stockings up for the boys but they haven't gotten in them.
I didn't get to stay home that evening because of a Legion Riders meeting on the other side of town.  Sometimes I come home but just get to stay a half hour before heading out again.  I didn't do that this time.  Instead I did a few errands around before going to the meeting.  Mike Lee has really been workin' hard and we have 736 wreaths for Wreaths Across America. We will need more help with laying the wreaths. Sam McCann will be speaker, Gold Star Mom Phillipa will sing the National Anthem, News 20, 6 wreaths dedicated to confederates by Sons of the Confederacy, 21 gun salute and much more

Thursday I had an invitation to a book signing by Guy Fraker for his new book, Lincoln's Ladder to the Presidency The Eighth Judicial Circuit.  I went with George Tinkham.  He and I were part of the Lincoln Circuit Ride on motorcycles.  This took place at the Union Theater in the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum.  Mr Fraker was asked to slant his topic for those on his book tour so this speech was about Lincoln and Spirits . Well not the spirit of the season but rather alcohol. Lincoln may not have been supportive of drinking but as a lawyer on the circuit, he defend sellers and temperance point of views when it came to justice. Odd to me that drink was bad but mercury (probably Opium too) was Ok by the knowledge of the time.

Here's the official website for this book: http://www.lincolnsladder.com/the-book.html

Friday I took half the day off for the Pearl Harbor Day Ceremony at the DAV.  I was later informed by a friend that she spotted me on the news.  So since I was out that evening (see following paragraph) I found the media online here:
http://www.wics.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_8489.shtml

 That's Ward Anderson on the left, John Kelly in the middle and on the right is Jean Goretski, a WWII WAVE.

I had been the local coordinator for the statehouse wreath presentation for Wreaths Across America.  I set things up and Chaplain Steve does the presentation during the Pearl Harbor ceremony.  WAA wants the ceremony on the day the wreaths depart Maine for Arlington but it is just too difficult to set up a ceremony when we can take a few minutes out of an existing ceremony format that is so near the date.  After the ceremony, I followed Chaplain Steve over to the capitol building and we placed the wreath by the veterans wall.  There were some students from Beardstown there in thier choir uniforms and I asked if they would like to sing as we placed the wreath.  I explained that the wreath was a gift to our state from Harrington Wreath Company in Maine in honor of all veterans and that they put wreaths on all the graves at Arlington. They sang very nicely and made the placement seem less of a drop off.



After work I changed into my Civil War dress for a "Victorian Tea" at Edwards Place at 6PM.  Since there was a Christmas Party for the AFSCME union at 5PM, I stopped there for 1/2 hour before going over to Edwards Place.  I went to the tea and this historic site was so beautifully decorated for the holidays.  I only had one problem ~ seems that true Victorian holly would be solid green and this fake stuff is got white outline on the leaves.  Another thing, the tea before had more authentic snacks.  Now we had mini cup cakes from the store and wraps.  The "TEA" I went to years ago had more authentic munchies.  I know it's because of the health inspection for public food now.  Afterward I went back to the AFSCME party at Vinegar Hill.  Time flew and I was there till the party was over at 11PM.  I brought home a white poinsettia from the center piece.  I learned a new word ~ Belsnickle
I knew that there was once a Santa that was feared by children but there was a reproduction figure that has hidden compartment for candy.  I found one on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290824037268&fromMakeTrack=true
Here is some background
The Belsnickle: definitely NOT Santa Claus

My son got his life membership card for the VFW for Christmas.

Saturday was the feast of the Immaculate Conception, Holy Day of Obligation, December 8. Mass at 8:30am.  I went to Mass and did a little bit of Christmas shopping.  Parking lots were full.  I went to Lowes and Farm and Fleet.  I saw Santa driving a mini van.  He had a real beard and retired military license plates. I waved and he waved back.

I saw this in an email captioned " it was a lot of work but I'm done ... got the tree up!! ". 


That inspired me on small gifts for friends.  I handed some of these trees out at our Legion Christmas party.  Only a few understood the joke.

I got all ready for Mass on Sunday with the Catholic War Veterans but a last minute look at my calendar showed that I missed the time.   I had just enough time to go to my own parish a few blocks away.  I think there was a reason too.  The blind man who sits near me in my parish lost his mother last night and needed a hug.  Saturday, Dec 8, was the 5th anniversary of my mother's death. 

I toured the Oglesby Mansion in Decatur.  There was a special Christmas tea.




Everything was decorated so nicely.  The rain was starting to fall and this was the front to bring in the bitter cold.

No comments:

Blog Archive