Monday, August 31, 2020

My Week

 

I was going to perform Amber's Christmas Story on Wednesday at the window of the nursing home at 10:30 but it was too hot.  Rescheduled for September 8th with a back up date 15th.   Meanwhile, I practice.  I hope to do a final on YouTube with an evaluator on Sep 24th so I can submit it to AKC Elite Trick performer by October 1 for entry into their additional contest.

Wednesday evening I attended a Civil War Zoom meeting that I learned through https://civilwartalk.com/


 It's been so muggy that I just took forever to dry my hair naturally even after walking the dogs. I then used my hair dryer but then it was hot and muggy. 

 



Ya know, it's one of the few thing in this "new normal" that's an outdoor event with social distancing.

Saturday evening I helped Diann with her cat from the veterinarian clinic.  She is on a walker and needed a little help getting this "barn cat" in a rehab situation.  Seemed like I was the 4th person she asked for help.  I brought her some towels and plastic bowls.  Helped her set up a litter box for a recuperating cat in what she referred to as an apartment in the barn.

Sunday Morning I went on a balloon ride on "Glorious Drifter".

I offered my sons a ride with me but was turned down.  I learned that Sean was afraid of heights.
I got up at 4AM on Sunday to meet the 6AM meet at the Comfort Inn in Lincoln IL.  There where Air Force veterans on our balloon ride of 5 guests.


 Here is our group photo before take off at Mayfield Park in Lincoln, IL.  I understand there was room for one more on this flight.

Here I am with our pilot:  Tim Cloyd.  What a nice guy he was and very informative.  I can tell he really enjoyed what he does.
I know our pilot mentioned "sea level" but I think we were 300'. I think our balloon was higher than some others at the balloon festival but this was the largest balloon also. 

  
Other balloons hover near the wind generators. I thought this was cool.  Pilot mentioned there was some wind affect in that area.

It's a feeling so high in more ways than one. So happy to share these photos and happiness with friends.
 Below
is our shadow in the early morning sunrise. We landed in that triangle patch right ahead by the trees.  I saw a deer running along the tree line and pointed it out to the others. We were told how to brace ourselves for the landing by bending our knees as the basket will tilt forward. The ground crew was right on us.  The pilot gave the balloon about a 4 foot lift above the weeds.  Then the ground crew tethered the balloon over to the clearing by the farm house. These were bad weeds with green burs.

There's our chase vehicle on the rural road staying close by for our anticipated landing.
The chase crew have apps on their phones to track the balloon when they can't see it.

 The below video shows the ground crew dragging the balloon to a across the nettled field to a nearby house with a nice open area for tear down.

"Dorothy Rose" has landed. 
It was so cool. Worth every penny to fulfill a dream in our Heavenly skies in a balloon with a cross called "Glorious Drifter". Taking off was smooth. The landing...well...brace yourself and bend your knees. We had a good pilot that let us down as easy as possible but the basket will still tip on landing.

This is our chase vehicle at the pick up point on the farm.

Yes I brought Old Glory on this flight.  Possed in front of the pallet flag on the property which we landed.

There was a closing ceremony after we arrived back at the motel.  A story and a toast.  We didn't toast but still got Champaign signed bottle.  I didn't expect that.  Guest were encouraged to sign their "memory book" after the flight experience.

 Of course the mask issue came up on Facebook.
 

I came home and watched Mass virtually and then Sean came to do laundry.  I had Mo do weave poles with a lure. Sean seemed amazed that his dog did that so I had him try.  I told him that the dog must enter the weave poles on the dog's left shoulder but sometimes is skipped a few bars.  Sean was just elated that his dog could do it.  I showed him how Amber does it without a lure but rather a finger signal and reward at the end.  Still he was amazed.

I found more nut grass burs in Sophie's pantaloons when I brought her to bed. I hate this time of year that pains her so much 

No comments:

Blog Archive