Monday, August 10, 2020

My Week

This is the week that the 10 day state fair would have begun but it's been canceled.  Temperatures cooled off a bit last week and I did get some yard work done.  Then the weekend came and took it all back all the pleasant temperatures and gave me heat and humidity   The mosquitoes returned also.  So did cicadas and Amber found them fun the way they buzz around.   I also saw something different....a cicada killer.  Hideous looking but harmless to people.  As I publish, we've had a day that was 92 degrees and a late afternoon storm brought it down to 68. 
 
I made a mask out of 100% silk.  I heard it's more breathable.  Well, it isn't.  I may just take it apart and add cotton liner and see if that works..

Then I tried this pattern and it is breathable but I would rather use ties than elastic because they pull my hearing aids out.  However, I also like that head band that pulls the elastic off the ears too.
You can find instructions here .


During the 4th of July, I wore my patriotic dress that I got on Ebay last year.  For a summer dress, it sweat and stuck to my skin.  The polyester made it feel like a sweat box.  This is the photo from the eBay purchase.


I took it apart and used it as a pattern for another patriotic cotton.  This is the first try on and I found a pin still in it.  It's not yet hemmed.
I wore the dress Sunday to a brief Purple Heart Day ceremony πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ’œ.  I held a flag along with one other member of the Patriot Guard.
This is a clip from the local newspaper.  You can see 2 people holding flags on both sides of the PH memorial.


Here is Amber in her "Hot N Spicy" ensemble posed by a metal cactus.

I recycled the potting soil from the mushroom plant that I got on Mothers Day into my pot since it didn't produce a second batch.  Well, not until now.  These mushrooms did not last.  They turned soft like poo after 2 days.
Saturday I carpooled with Kim to the High School in Altamont IL for Nosework 4 exams.  I was curious about this sport since Amber's sniffing habit needs to be focused.   The sponsoring organization was Kudos for Canines.  We left Springfield at 6AM.  One of the entrants came from South Carolina to try for their title.  I played the role of the "sheet runner" between the judge and the recorders. Judge Ashley was a dog handler in the Air Force.  It was interesting to watch the dogs as they searched for an odor.  This day I wore a mask longer than ever.  

It was a very mild week and the air conditioner did not come on until the weekend. 

No comments:

Blog Archive