Monday, June 8, 2020

My Week

This has been a week of protests over the death of George Floyd.  I am upset over the looting crimes.  We don't need this during a pandemic when so many people are already out of work.  Locally I only saw spray paint on the sidewalk.  A few days  later it looked like it had a powerwasher taken to it.
Instead of canceling all the Fests this summer...
We simply call them Protests with food and live music...then thousands can come and its perfectly fine!

One of the tricks that Amber learned in class was to open a mail box.  Up until now, she's had to learn using the toy mailbox at the "Pawsitive Zone".  That toy seemed to open well for a dog.  Not all on the market are, especially those metal Christmas mailboxes.    So I found this one on eBay and put it on my watch list and the next day I was offered a discount. 

I had some white duct tape that I rolled through the narrow opening in the latch for her to pull.  I put a treat inside and she remembered how to do it from the class. I did think it could use a little weight but those exercise wrist weights were too thick so I had to sew a weighted sleeve.  This mail box came with mail cards and crayons and sticky numbers.    Her certificate for expert came in the mail.




Therapy Dogs Int. recently permitted the rules to allow window visits. The nursing home I frequent has a nice sun room with a garden patio for Amber to perform a few tricks. The window had a nice ledge for her pass along close to those on the other side which I hear they liked. I could barely see the residents on the other side of the tinted glass with the exception of shiny wheel chairs, masks, and occasional applause. Amber can perform tricks for them on the patio mostly on leash but some needed to be done off leash. Overall it was good but she got tired out within about 20 minutes and hid under a cool bush after awhile because it was 85 degrees. Here's a picture taken on the way home with the hoop that she jumped through for the residents. In addition, she went through a tunnel, unrolled a yoga mat, rolled over, hid in a suitcase, went around the suitcase, got mail from her new mailbox, turned on her light and beg. Things that I know she does but wouldn't perform were airplane, leg weave, pull her dog on a leash, and basketball. We will try again maybe on a cooler morning.
The background looks so perfect that it looks like an artificial backdrop but then I wouldn't look so hot and exhausted if it wasn't real.

I've had a need for pockets so I got this apron (pink).  I'll see how this goes.  Not so keen on all this polyester but might be an easy patten.


I sold my heavy curio cabinet.  This is part of my draw down.  That means I must store the contents which were mostly my military Barbie collection and some Civil War bonnets. I don't need to display this stuff. Nobody comes over but my son anyway.  I also sold a hoop crinoline cage that was just too wide for me.

I'm starting to make a list of things for a handy man.  My rain gutters need altered, whole house ceiling fan either needs replaced or just new flappers, and swagging shelf in the cabinet for the pots n pans.  Maybe I can add to it and find a repairman that can do it all.  Meanwhile, I have Suttons coming to check settlement on my sun room.

I fixed this no-crust pumpkin pie that I saw on Kim's Facebook page.  She is one of our dog training partners. 

I think I should recreate the photo with Amber someday. 

I've had to work on our Catholic War Veterans history report.  I used to print it off at the library but the library is closed.  My word processing program on my computer had dropped all the images in the document so I had to pretty much work it from scratch and put it in google docs.  Oh I had the text but had to find all the images again that supported the narrative.

Sunday was the first time we were allowed to go back to church on a limited basis.  I had to make a reservation to go since there are only 75 allowed based on capacity and every other pew taped off.  I volunteered to be part of the 5 person sanitizing team after the service but seems like there were more than that helping.  My church is still livestreaming for those that can't make it to Mass.    I really think our priest missed us because he opened Mass by reciting "“Here is the church. Here is the steeple. Open the doors and see all the people.” There are hand gestures to go along with it to up the dexterity ante: Face hands toward each other. Lock fingers together facing down. Hold both index fingers straight up against each other. Fold thumbs inward against each other. The index fingers make the steeple, thumbs the doors, and other fingers the people inside. When the thumbs separate they represent opening the church doors to look at the people inside.  He repeated the poem during his sermon on YouTube.
Since there were no misilletes in the pew, the readings were on the big screen.
I usually sit near the front but the prelude music seemed loud on my hearing aids.  Probably something to do with the new set up for live streaming.  There was a diocesan reporter in the back were I sat.  

Some may know that I've been doing a lot of research on the family tree.  I was shocked to learn that a volunteer thru FamilySearch had me listed as deceased.  I'm not the only one in the Connolly family with the same problem so I had it corrected.

Sunday afternoon I met with Linda McCall regarding my DAR genealogy research.  She's found the missing link ~ Martha Sturdivant's third marriage had listed her mother’s name of Ruth Cloud.  All the links match up to a Revolutionary War patriots.  This could open up a whole line of eligible people for the SAR and DAR since there are so many in this line of descendants.
Hopefully I'll be accepted into the Daughters of the American Revolution.

The Capitol Canine Training Club is opening up to 10 members only and must wear masks and wipe up afterward.  That seems like a lot of trouble.   I would be interested in finishing what I started but there are no trials to attend.



No comments:

Blog Archive