Monday, February 3, 2020

My week

Here in Springfield, a twin engine plane crashed near the airport.  This was on Jan 28th, the day after  the helicopter crash in California that killed Kobe Bryant under similar weather conditions.   This local crash took the life of an alderman and a former mayor, his wife who was coroner, and the husband of a woman from church, John Evans.   It has been foggy and cloudy over a week and we did not see the sun until Saturday afternoon.
http://www.springfield-leaks.com/mclean-county-coroners-office-three-dead-in-plane-crash-scientifically-identified/?fbclid=IwAR1Eok5sgMlxaZoWhVn4H4upiq6flUOuA62fyHUoOr1mhE0hIylMMA-2frk

Last Monday, I didn't have a dog visit to worry about after senior fitness class, I stayed for Pilates.  In the evening I went to a short meeting of the Veterans Assistance Commission which was basically a vote approval for the new superintendent.  I still took minutes.

I usually walk the girls together.  One night,  I walked Amber separately and she kept heading for the garage because going solo meant going to training. So funny

Tuesday I took Amber to a make up agility class.  We had to cancel a class in December.  In the afternoon, my much awaited chimney inspection happened.  I explained that I saw some installation come out last spring and called it in but without a rush job.  There was a chimney fire in December only 2 blocks away, that made me nervous.  I had to wait a long time for an appointment.  He said my fire place was fine but did fix some little thing and didn't charge me.

Wednesday I went to the Interveterans Council of Sangamon County.  New officers were sworn in.

Thursday I went to my Yoga class, open dog training at the club followed by lunch at the Chatham cafe, then Sophie went to the nursing home and closed the day with Agility 103 class with Amber.  Once again, I'm frustrated at Amber but one of the helpers said Amber is frustrated too because she started biting me and biting a cone. I cried myself to sleep over Amber biting and nipping at cones. After walking, I put her pull toy dog on her collar so she’ll get used to it following her in order to move on to trick class Friday evening.  When I came home from the gym, she chewed the cord off.  She also has to stop scratching me for attention. Eye contact wins attention.
Oh, and when I pulled into the gym parking lot, I saw a low flying bald eagle 🦅 over PowerWorks.

I thought it was about time to knock out some of those so-called "winter projects".  Here's the the Brown Taffeta Bustle  that I've been wanting to alter for at least 3 years.  I paid $350.00 + $23.00 Postage.  It would normally sell for $550ish.
I have been experimenting with expanding the bust and found a panel.  Initially I was going to leave the open cleavage until I looked at bustle era on Pinterest. Many in this era had a high collar and I found a blouse at the Goodwill at the right time!!  As you can see, something seems missing without the bow.  Looks like it's bare without the bow.  I had tried a connection of black lace and it was poor.  However, I did put it back on in a different way for symmetry.  Without a connection between the collar, it really looked like a cheesy expansion.
I decided to add this contrasting lace piece from my stash as a finishing touch (without trying it on so to show you it's on my dress form).  It's the same piece I had tried with that open cleavage look only then it was behind and not turned over like this.

I think the only thing left is perhaps a hem guard since this fabric if very fray-able.  It's silk.  

Here are the "before" photos tightly corseted in 2017 and too long in the skirt. Got it closed then but couldn't move much.
Here's the original description

~ 1880's Taffeta Bustle Dress ~


Consists of 2 Pieces, which are Bodice and the Skirt


The Patterns that I used to create this Ensemble was drafted from Original 1880's Patterns that were Popular during this Time....


The Fabrics that I used to make this Dress are all Taffeta. The Color is a Brownish Copper Tone. One Fabric is Embroidered, while the other Fabric is Solid. I also used Black Taffeta Fabric for the Collar, the Cuffs, & the Contrast Black on the Skirt. The Trim that I used is Metallic Gold Venise Lace ..


The Bodice is made from the Embroidered Taffeta Fabric... It is lined with the same Taffeta Fabric, & it is Boned in the appropriate places. It closes at the center front with Black Decorative Buttons


This Bodice will fit a BUST MEASUREMENT up to 34 & 1/2 inches & a WAIST MEASUREMENT up to 28 & 1/2 inches, while wearing a Bra or a Corset,, or whatever is to be worn Underneath ----- so Please take your Measurements while you are wearing whatever Under Things will be worn.


The Skirt is made from the Embroidered Taffeta Fabric & the Solid Taffeta Fabric.. It is Trimmed to coordinate with the Bodice ..

The LENGTH measures 40 & 3/4 inches, with a 1/2 inch double hem... There are 2 Rows of Ruffles at the Bottom which are made from the Embroidered Taffeta Fabric .... The CIRCUMFERENCE is 94 inches, which is set on a 1 & 1/4 inch wide waistband that closes at the center back with a Hook & Bar.


This Ensemble is shown on a dress form with the Measurements set at a BUST of 34 & 1/2 inches & a WAIST set at 28 & 1/2 inches. The Skirt is shown over an Under Bustle Petticoat support ... ** THE UNDER BUSTLE SUPPORT IS NOT INCLUDED **










Amber completed her trick dog advanced title Friday night.  I guess now Amber and I are one-to-one between her poor performance at our Agility 103 class on Thursday and her advance trick class on Friday.  I got her to jump between my circled arms (not without a treat thrown to the other side) and hide in a suitcase.  Amber could get in a box but the suitcase with a lid was a step up. Command is "go hide".

Saturday I went to yoga in the morning and in the afternoon I took the girls to New Salem for what I call a "cabin fever" walk.  Oh I had a registration form to drop off also.




Sunday I fixed Jambalaya with sausage for lunch.  I needed some vegetables so I added a can of diced green chilies.  I also had cornbread.  Finally success in the kitchen after so much waste.

After Sean left, I couldn't think of a better time to go see the movie "1917".  I don't watch football and it has gotten out of hand.  I got back in time to see JLO doing pole dancing and dry humpin' during half time.

 
 

No comments:

Blog Archive