Monday, September 11, 2017

My Week

Prayers for those affected by Hurricane Irma!

Last Sunday, our church bulletin included birthdays and anniversaries of parishioners for the month of September.  They never did this before.  Guess who's in the inaugural birthday calendar?

Boy I'm so sick of people.  One gal on facebook doesn't equate donors to the hurricane as part of the  volunteer network. 

Even my dogs don't get along.  Sophie is laying between Pearl and the food.  Not aggressively but subtle.  She seems to be growling more.  It's not like there's a shortage of dog food.  

My birthday card from my niece:
https://www.jacquielawson.com/ecard/pickup?code=6978402787358&source=jl999&utm_medium=internal_email&utm_source=pickup&utm_campaign=receivercontent

On my birthday I had senior strength class followed by zumba. Then I had a veterinarian appointment for Pearl.   She went from 7lbs 4 oz to 7.6 so she's putting on a little weight and that's good.  Then I had a visit from Jill, my First Command Financial Advisor. She has a role in the Roatary club which was having a convention in town so it was a good time for an annual review.  After that I had to see what I was missing at the Goodwill Senior Day discount and then I went to the Elijah Iles House.  I got the book, Lincoln's Springfield Neighborhood, and had my book signed.

Here are some of my birthday presents:
My sons gave me home delivery of wine.  Sean gave me some wine glasses and a book.  This is an extra bottle before the delivery begins.  It's got a nice image in a window. 
My sister Patty gave me truffle spread, my sister Kathy gave me a veteran pin, my sister Ginny gave me fancy pants.


Friday evening our Soldiers Aid Society put on a reenactment of a Sanitary Fair to raise funds for soldiers, widows and orphans of the Civil war.  Ruby Dolls put on a Facebook live video:

 Here are some of the photos from my cell phone, or should I say, pocket Bible.




Here I am with the famous Rose Percy doll
The event was a fund raiser for veterans.  It was a combination of direct sales of dolls, tickets for a raffle, silent auction and live auction. The table center pieces were auctioned off.  This antique, French Papier-Mache Soldier wearing his New York Regiment Zouave uniform. A very capable fellow and his red leather knapsack doubles as a sewing etui. Auctioned for $3,700
Antique, erman blonde Parian costumed as a Ladies Sewing Companion, preplete with needlework accoutrements. Auctioned for $1900.
Antique, German Papier-mache costumed as a widow of the South. Auctioned for $800
Antique German blond Parian costumed as a Bride of the South. Auctioned for 1900

Patriotic Rose Quilt. Auctioned for $675
Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter signature Quilt to benefit Habitat for Humanity auctioned for 2900.

 Mary talking to Mary with a member of our 114th Illinois Infantry (reactivated) standing guard over the Rose Percy exhibit.
 Some of the dolls that were for sale by vendors:
 This doll came in a linen closet.
I met some really amazing people from all over the country that loved antique dolls.  I must admit I felt differently about all those dolls than before.  The detail was wonderful.  I can tell that the bidding was way out of my range and I sure don't need to bring anything home as I am downsizing my Barbie collection.  I still have an appreciation for the dolls and their detail.
After the Rose Percy event, I changed and resettled.  Then Sean and I met Alan in Lincoln for a birthday dinner at El Mazatlan Mexican Restaurant.  Since I had beef for lunch, I ordered seafood fajitas.  I love fajitas and the box to take home is easily reheatable.  I can get 3 meals out of fajitas and plenty of vegetables.  It was good to see Alan too and I had things at my place to give to him.

 Sunday morning I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans at St Patrick's Parish.  It's an older and more traditional church.  Then we had breakfast together at Sunrise Cafe.  Since I was already in town, I stopped by Memorial Hospital for a short visit with Don Taylor, our past post commander of our VFW, and Gwen Diehl.

Two more reenacting weekends and I'll donate my hair to wigs for kids.

No comments:

Blog Archive