Monday, September 26, 2016

My week

Now we have butterflies all everywhere.  Fall began this week.

My picture from last week's presentation at the OWLS potluck that can be found in our church Bulletin here:
https://content.parishesonline.com/bulletins/01/0164/20160925B.pdf





Tuesday, Curt Woods and his son David stopped over about 11:30 but I was hoping to be first on the schedule.  The cause of my drain problem in the bath tub was the stopper connector corroded right off and the plug was just down there.
He said he can fix it but that he'll put a cover over the lever part and just use a rubber plug instead.  That would save $400.

Tuesday evening I went to the Sangamon Auditorium and saw a musical of Dirty Dancing.
Wednesday's good find of the day at the Salvation Army: A nursing pillow for Sophie. It's like the neck pillow only bigger.

As I clean and move things around the house, especial photos and documents, I found an farewell card from Tinker AFB from Don and Ip Pun Urtz, Barbara and Anthony Urtz from our parish at Tinker AFB when I had organized a social dinner club. Frank and Don became good friends. I decided to search to see if I could find him and instead I found his obituary. http://newsok.com/article/1927426

I did contact his daughter and she said her mother died in 2011.  Closure!


Thursday evening I went to a presentation and book signing by Gen  Borling.  It was very interesting and detailed so I hope it's eventually on YouTube. 
Some of what he discussed can also be seen on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITzCGzLzENU
He recognized the WW2 veterans in the audience (there were 3).  Then he recognized the Korean veterans who raised their hand.  Then he recognized Vietnam and Vietnam Era veterans and I raised my hand.  The lady next to me said "You were in Vietnam?" I whispered "era".   Later I thought, I know we mention the various wars as "eras" but with Vietnam we seem to segregate "Vietnam Vets" from "Vietnam Era Vets" more distinctly that it has to be mentioned separately like it's another war or something. 

Friday afternoon I went to see Ken Serfass as US Grant.


Saturday I went to "Kites in the Park" and tried to get my para-foil kite up but it was much too calm a wind.  Even the experts kite flyers (I think they were from Chicago) weren't flying.  In the evening I rode Wheezer over to the VFW for an open event/bon fire with chili and hot dogs to celebrate September birthdays.  I didn't stay long because I wanted to be home before dark. 

Sunday I was the first reader at Mass:
http://ccc.usccb.org/cccradio/NABPodcasts/16_09_25.mp3
Then I went to a PGR flagline for our gold star families.
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?m=1101659254288&ca=48864000-b777-4daa-a8cb-a4ee81b591df
Here I am in the flag line and getting a hug from one of our Gold Star mothers.  It's really special when I intend to honor our Gold Star families and they really appreciate it. Most humbling for us. I think of them outside the flagline too.  I cherish this.
Here is the news coverage of the Gold Star Day events in Springfield at this link.  You can see me in the flagline at .30 seconds.
http://newschannel20.com/news/local/families-of-fallen-iraq-war-soldiers-recognized-at-special-event

In certain circles, I'm know as Sophie's mom.  I ordered her pet costume on eBay and I hope she can keep this hat on.  I fear I may need to get a one piece costume that covers the head and won't shake off.  Stand by for the answer to that question.  Besides, the model is a stuffed animal so I'm not to optimistic.
Sean got Moe a lion's mane last year and Moe couldn't keep that on.  Maybe Sean could wear it.
 

No comments:

Blog Archive