Monday, April 20, 2015

My Week

Monday's weather was nice so I took Sophie to the dog park to play off-leash with other dogs.  We were there and hour and a half.  It was so entertaining as some dogs had to leave and others came with their owners.

Tuesday I had lunch with the Womens Overseas Service League.  Then in the evening I went to   a vigil reading at the ALPM union theater.  It was the vigil of Lincoln's death.  Nothing against the readings but the late hour (as the late hour that Lincoln went to the theater) and story telling readings were causing me to nod off so I left at intermission.

My Comcrap bill went up after one month dropping of HBO (from $76 to $90). I called and was told I had a special that ended on Feb 3d (Black Press Internet package whatever that is). My options are to pay $90 or drop to a lower plan of $69.99 with fewer channels than my even now basic cable and go from 50 MIPs to 25 on internet. Do I hire someone to put a hole in the ceiling for my attic HDMI antenna up there?   I have an outdoor antenna under my attic roof over my hallway/living room.  Last time I used it I pulled the cable through the ceiling air-evac vent but the shutters get bent up a little when I turn it on.

Wednesday, on my way to the Lincoln memorial at the tomb and Union Park, a young driver (mother was a passenger) rear ended me at the stop sign on the curve.  It's only a few scratches but I won't forget the jolt.

The death day wreath ceremony at the tomb is done every year so I was used to the format.   That ceremony was at 11AM.   Catholic War Veterans, Bishop McNicolas Post 1916 laid a wreath at Lincoln's Tomb on the 150th anniversary of our president's death.  (we do this every year).  Pictured: Commander Pat Noel and vice, Leon Scott. 
Also present, Joan Garvert (who took the picture) and Rosemary Connolly in period attire (see photo of that taken by the State Journal Register)
At noon there was a ceremony at Union Square Park (across from the Presidential Museum) for the 150th anniversary of Lincoln's death.  The full video with the governor is here:
"Anniversary of Lincoln's death remembered during ceremony at Union Square Park" http://livestream.com/blueroomstream/events/3960419?origin=stream_live&mixpanel_id=13770bd015f130-008714995aec0cc-52464b14-1fa400-13770bd0160283&acc_id=1571108&medium=email

I can be spotted in this video at 0.46 with Belinda Suzanne Clayton-Boehler.
 http://www.sj-r.com/article/20150415/NEWS/150419707/1994/NEWS

In the evening I went to the Old State Capitol at 6PM for a presentation on the veterans that built the reproduction Lincoln Funeral hearse based on a photo alone.  The original was in a fire in 1887 so the photo was the only thing to go on.  After that I went to the Veterans Assistance Commission meeting.  Not a big turn out there.

Thursday there was no yoga class.  We were warned the week before that she couldn't be there but she also hoped to find a sub.  So I did 25 minutes on the treadmill instead. Afterward I came home and changed to go to the Old State Capitol to give tours.  I gave tours in my dress (same as in the photo above) because Kat was sizing/repairing my other dress's waist that was a nightmare.  I've been waiting over 2 years to fix that dress so this fitting was timely and long overdue.  I was with Kat over an hour.  By the time I got upstairs, they had just finished a Holocaust remembrance ceremony.   I apologized for the delay and explained I was downstairs all this time.  Troy and Justin were getting worried because it was busy.  He asked me to stay later than I scheduled myself for which was fine but I knew I'd need a small bite to eat.  Troy brought me a turkey croissant.  It was just as much of a life saver as I was to the tours.

In the evening I went to a book lecture at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library by Richard Fox on his book called  "Lincoln's Body".  He showed a few clips from movies on different ways that the directors portrayed Lincoln's assassination.  Some new to me like Abraham Lincoln (D. W. Griffith) 1930 (the clip starts at 1:05:00 on the youtube video and he added that in a day without hi-tech, you knew that when Lincoln put on his shawl the shock was coming) and THE LIFE OF PRESIDENT ABRAHAM LINCOLN 1915 Edison Silent Film which he said was pretty accurate (the clip starts at 14:00 on the youtube video).

I rode ride Wheezer to exercise (after 10 minutes on the trickle).  I have training on how to give tours at the Lincoln Tomb monument at noon. A lady came by to look at the Barbies that I have for sale.  I sold her some of the dolls that were more "play-able" for her grandchildren.  Afterward I went to a meeting for new tour guides at the Lincoln tomb.  I was disappointed that it focused on the location and position of burial rather than our standard tour so I made my own study guide of this tour here:

http://ivetret.blogspot.com/2015/04/lincoln-tomb-oak-ridge-cemetery.html

Saturday I got caught up with things around the house like 3 loads of laundry, fixed a little comb that needs sewn into my bonnet, putting my widows weeds on my dress form for Edwards Place display in a few weeks, separating my winter summer clothes, etc.  In the evening, I went to Vandalia for a a Civil War Ball with the Abraham Lincoln Reenactors Convention.  I caught a carpool ride.  There were many photographers there but I haven't seen any pictures.  I think they were commercial photographers but their local paper is weekly.  If I find them later, I'll update this on blogger.

Sunday after Mass, I recorded Sophie playing with a ball that was so cute.

Rain prevented my son from getting out in the back yard to help pull a root that I tried to dig out in my raspberry patch earlier.  However, the day after the rain loosened it and I pulled it out myself.  It's like loosening that lid on a jar before asking for help to get it off.

Oh boy, did I run out when I saw the truck picking up yard waste bags. I had one but didn't want it getting all wet in the rain.

No comments:

Blog Archive