Monday, April 13, 2015

My Week

I walked Sophie around 3 blocks. She stopped 3 times to take a shit. Maybe if I walked her more... I would see a dump per block.

Monday evening I went to our American Legion meeting.  I briefed them on the Interveterans Council meeting for which I represent our post.  They seemed a little disinterested.   I think I'm sent so that no one else has to go.

Tuesday I mailed a package to my adopted soldier and two to ladies.

Tuesday evening I went to a special presentation for members of the Sangamon County Historical Society of the newly remodeled Edwards Place first floor.  Now to raise funds for the second floor.  The dining room had repaired pottery that was found discarded in the privy.
 The children's room had nice games like Old Maid.


 In the attic there was a room for the servants.
 The attic has a window for air.
 A place for the visitor to leave a calling card.
 Front Parlor has nice new curtains.
After the tour of Edwards Place, I went to the airport for the homecoming of the Honor Flight.  I had some last minute repairs to my "Welcome Home" banner that I forgot about last fall.  I was happy to see Bob Krotz, come through our gauntlet of hand shakes.  He's a member of our Catholic War Veterans.

Wednesday night I went to our AmVets meeting.

Thursday afternoon I went to a PGR mission for Nicholas Lee Wilmert. The church bells were ringing at 2:15 to mark the anniversary of the surrender at Apamatox but we couldn't hear them at Camp Butler.  I brought my brass bell but discovered the ding-a-ling part missing. After that I filled my gas tank and went to dress rehearsal dance practice in Metamora. Friday night dance.  I finally got around to putting the rings in my hoop slip that I starched over winter.  For awhile, I couldn't find it but it was in my closet when I had the doors fixed.

My picture along with others is in the the Peoria Star here:
Max Daniels Plays Abraham Lincoln at Snyder Village
We were doing the "Crystal Schottische" and this is what we call the "Buggy".  You can see all my dances on an earlier blog:  http://ivetret.blogspot.com/2012/11/first-night-ball-dance-program.html

Saturday morning I went to the Illinois Veterans Home at Quincy advisory board. I carpooled so we got there in plenty of time to say hi to a few residents there.  Wayne got an award. 
It read:  Presented to Wayne Firth from the residents and staff of the Illinois Veterans Home at Quincy. Thank you for your service as president of the advisory council from Oct 6 2012 until Oct 4 2014.


Saturday evening I was at the Hoogland.  Since I still had my ball gown on the the bed from the night before, I donned that again.  They played "Our American Cousin" which is the play that Lincoln was watching when he got shot.  I helped hand out programs so since I was there early.....

There were three ladies that came to the program in period dress from Indiana and Kentucky. I don't know how they fit in those seats.  I sat in the back in an open chair along with the red jacketed ushers.
The play was paused for an announcement that President Lincoln arrived and also paused at the point of the gun shot with the actress explanation out of character. Their British accents were harder than those on Downton Abby.

Sun morning, Mass with the Catholic War Veterans. There was a staff member from Benedictine University by the name of Andrew who received his First Communion and Confirmation.  We had coffee and donuts after Mass.  I came home and then went to meet for lunch with a Patti, a former coworker,  in Lincoln before the 2pm presentation at the Lincoln college.   The presentation was very good.  The program had nice thought-provoking, multiple-choice questions.  There was a first-person presentation by a student that is NAI certified and soon to graduate from Lincoln College.  The museum wasn't open on Sunday so I must return.  Looking in the window, it will take time to go through because of all the plaques on the wall to read.The program was on a stick fan with black netting.


At 5PM I took Sophie for the Therapy dog test.  She failed.  I was the only one that showed up and I almost didn't want to go expecting a disappointment but I went to see how well she would do. It only cost me $10.  I am a person of commitment so I was going but I also don't like disappointment so I told myself I'd come home with the best pet in the World either way.  The tasks that I thought she would fail were not the problems however.  She missed the basic obedience (sit, down, stay) that she does for me. I thought her how to "leave it" dropping food on the floor but they put chicken on a plate and had me walk by.  She ate it. I should have fed her before this but I don't leave food down on Sundays when Moe comes over.  The tester said you can fix obedience but temperament is nature.  She's got that.  Next test may be in in August.  Meanwhile, we need to get her consistently trained.

I cut my grass in the back yard before watching A. D. The Bible Continues.  Now my shoes are green.  I didn't wear my old work shoes because the were encrusted with mud and I didn't want to walk thru the house in them.  Oh well.

No comments:

Blog Archive