Monday, December 16, 2013

My Week

I found this on facebook from last week's honor guard.  You can hardly see me there with the POW flag.  It's not because I'm short but there's a man in the way.


I went to an AmVets Christmas Party on Wednesday and on Thursday I went to the Christmas Party for the Catholic War Veterans.  While at the Catholic War Veterans party, someone told me they saw Les (in the photo above with the American Flag).  There are many different dining rooms at the Chesapeake Seafood House, so while I waited for my food, I went looking for him.  I went to all the rooms that I knew.  So I had to ask a waiter.  He said there was another dining area on the front porch.  As I went down the hall, a waitress asked if she could help me.  I told her I was looking for Santa (AKA Les).  The look on her face was priceless but I went in and there was Les.  He was in a business suit with his Santa hat.  We were glad to see each other there.  After dinner he came out to greet everyone, not just my party, in his full Santa suit.  He told everyone that Rose was good this year.

Thursday my coworkers gave me an early "happy retirement" party.  I was pleased it was a little different than those rich cakes.  I had gourmet cupcakes and Christmas cookies.   I got a very nice card with $.  I must admit it felt weird to be on the other side of retirement parties that I've attended.  I would be happy just to slip out which may still happen because my last day is New Year's Eve and staff will be down.  I hinted that it may be better to celebrate my new life in January rather than the end of working.  That could never happen.  It's not traditional.  I gave a little speech reflecting on my years at FPR including a laundry list of IT directors, where I was on 9-11, and affection for the support of my coworker support during my life's tragedies.





I know there were more there than the pictures show but they were on the other end of the camera.  I've been busy showing others my job.

Friday I went to my dental cleaning.  I probably shouldn't have told my hygenist that I didn't like her daughter's homecoming dress on facebook. I thought it looked childish if you add wings and a pixie crown.  I guess I hurt her feelings because she paid $150 and was originally $400.
Weather had predicted snow and since I had the rest of the afternoon off, I stopped at Walmart for a few.  When I came out the snow began. 

I figure that I will be "snowed in" so I put lights on my tree.



Wow moment at Wreaths Across America Camp Butler NC when Megan Lowery impromptu spoke of her best friend who was a helicopter pilot died in Afghanistan in Apr 13.  She only referred to him by initials of RJ so I tried to look for someone who died in that time frame to help.  
 http://icasualties.org/OEF/Fatalities.aspx
 There was an un-named loss during that time frame.




Then I put a wreath on my husband's grave and another on Christian Porter who is KIA from the first Iraq War.  As before, I dusted snow off the stone and discovered a few pennies on top of the snow signifying a friend had visited.
Here's the link to the news media:  http://www.wics.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_14696.shtml

I had lunch at the truck stop with the veterans on the burial detail and then came home to change for the Holiday Home tour.

I decided not to change between the Historic Christmas Holiday House Walk and the American Legion Christmas Party.
 Lee plays a Civil War Santa like the one published in the January 3, 1863 edition of Harper’s Weekly, featured Santa visiting dejected Union soldiers. Civil War.  Lee is really good with kids.  Even the curator of Edwards Place mentioned that her little son was still afraid of Santa but Lee relaxed the little feller.  I was impressed.

Sunday I went to Mass and it was Gaudete Sunday (3d Sunday of Advent).  Today's homily asks us if we are "joyful". Are you?  I fixed a Mexican style lunch that was really good. 
 
 


No comments:

Blog Archive