Sunday, June 9, 2013

My week

What a busy week.  Monday evening I went tot he American Legion meeting.  Officers were elected.  I tried to cut the grass with the manual Scotts Classic rotary but it was hard and I built up a little heat.  I wanted to reward myself with a short neighborhood ride on Wheezer to cool off and relax.  Wheezer is on a charger....boy that thing needs a trickle charger bad...and new bolts that still can be clawed at by a wrench.  If I ignore HIM for a short while, I have to put up with this.  Wheezer started the following morning.  I just need to get new bolts that are not stripped and a battery tender with pigtails so I don't have to take the seat off all the time.  Battery tenders come with extenders under the seat.

Tuesday I woke up sore from doing lunges at exercise class on Monday.  They always get to me like that.  The lady who suggested we do these again ended up flat on her mat before we got 1/2 through them.  Duh!

I took an extra hour with my lunch to participate in a dedication and ribbon cutting of the remodeled gate to Oakridge Cemetery.  This is where Lincoln's Tomb is and matches the old 1900 post card picture of the gate.  Previously torn down and had only a rock for the longest time.  I went in my Widow's weeds as it was a cemetery.  Here I am if you can recognize me incognito.
I also wore the outfit after work for the initial Civil War Retreat Ceremony at the tomb.  The ladies greet the visitors and have them sign up for a drawing for the flag when it is lowered.  It's only one ticket per family and we only name, city and state.  No phone since the lucky recipient will be called from the crowd.


 The lady that received the retreat flag from the Lincoln Tomb ceremony was Silvia Yist(sp) from California.  She was deaf so the announcer asked if there was someone who could sign in the audience.  There was a woman whose husband was deaf.  She signed the words from the commander who handed her the flag.  I really like it when a visitor from far away receives the flag but this brought tears.  The lady in blue shirt is the flag receipient:



Let's see, my Civil War closet has:
Widows weeds
camp dress (AKA Belle Reynolds)
Blue plaid flounced day dress
Red & White plaid day dress
Rust print flounced day dress
Green plaid day dress
Brown Taffeta day dress
Winter weight wool green set
Dark Blue taffeta ball gown
Pink ball gown
Tan print youth dress/ball gown for sale cheap
Sea green ball gown being altered for December
Vivandire (2)
Bloomer Outfit (AKA Rational Dress)

I came home from the ceremony at the tomb with a stop at Karl Reed in Panther Creek about my son's membership in the SAR.  There's a missing bonafide link that is holding things up with George W. Connolly in the family tree.   I was surprised that my lawn was mowed in a lovely diagonal cut...Just like the neighbors. And I've been trying to cut with the weed whacker and the rotary clipper. I've been shopping around for a new mower.  This intensified my desire to be self-sufficient in trimming my lawn.  The riding mower is in Virden for Spring maintenance.  The Sears battery mower cost too much to fix.  I've been looking at 3 different easy starters at Kunz and will look at Lowes before I decide.

Wednesday I went to a Legion Riders meeting.  I stopped by ACE hardware for some new bolts for the seat.  The others were difficult to remove and the octagon was well rounded.   I wanted to ride the short distance so I warmed up Wheezer....too much that it got hot.  When I got home it cooled off and I ran down to the gas station and topped it off with 1.5 gallons.   I then cut up an onion and sauteed it in butter and pepper along with one stalk of asparagus from the garden.

Thursday I registered at the hotel where the state AMVETS convention was being held.  Since there is a reenactment at the Old State Capitol, I registered as a delegate to vote in the state election of officers.  I got the program and noticed that there were no times listed on it for when this was to be held.  I asked Paul Kerby to give me a call so I could come a block away from the OSC to the hotel for the vote.  On Saturday I got to perform my first person impression of Belle Reynolds for a few of my Amvet friends just before I went over to vote.  I found this great necklace for $7 at a thrift store to go with the lime green dress that's being altered for the Winter Dances.
I also figured out a neat way for my fine hair to be bunned for Civil War Reenactments with "Hot Buns".  It's even cooler because it lifts the hair from the nape of the neck unlike a pony tail that sticks to sweat when I turn my head.  I guess our ancestors knew what they were doing with thier hair.
I took Friday afternoon off to be helpful around the Old State Capitol as the reenactors arrived and set up their tents/displays.  I stayed for a presentation on Civil War (Major) Dr Woodard at 5PM by Dr Herschel and Jackie Stroud of Topeka KS. He was in the Air Force during the Korean War and he and his wife had an extensive display of Civil War antiques in the state library of the OSC. 
It was a long day and I passed the test of authentic among the pickiest of re-enactors.  I was waiting in line to be in the noon ladies fashion show in my camp dress but the speaker had taken the men ahead of me and one of the confederates made a long speech about his outfit in front of a dwindling crowd.  Knowing I had put lunch off to be a part of this fashion show, you know I was hungry.  I finally left while the rebel had his one-on-one audience.  I didn't want to eat lunch too late as there was a free meal for the reenactors at 5PM.

Sunday morning I got up, short walk for the dogs and off to 8AM Mass at St Agnes with the Catholic War Veterans.  I met Jack who only participates when we happen to come to his home parish.   I then changed and back to the Old State Capitol for a few hours left before the closing ceremony by Abe Lincoln.  Little Kaylee who is a daughter of one of the reenactors was getting a bit bored so I helped keep her company.  I had bought a pocket watch from the sutler and I got her a game to play called Graces.  The Ladies Soldiers Aid Society was describing the socks and caps put in the boxes by the ladies.  She asked one little boy if he would like it if he was sent socks from his girl friend as he helped ...err...threw the socks in the box.  Apparently he's at the stage where he doesn't like girls ..yet.  I laughed so hard.

I recorded the Generals



Generals Grant and General Custer



My sons were at my house using the laundry facility.  Then they left for the gun club.  I went to Lowes to price a lawn mower.  I still like the first Toro that I saw which is also the most expensive.  It has an electric start but can still be started by the pull cord and is adjustable for height.  Picked up some things at Walmart, including "Snapea Crisps".  Yum!

Why are there cupcakes at the farmers market.  How do the farmers grow them?  Would it be a fruit tree?
 



No comments:

Blog Archive