Monday, June 3, 2013

My Week

Tuesday I got to puppy sit the neighbor's dog, Dottie.  I came home from work to extra kisses.  There were muddy paws on my door which where higher than my dogs can reach but not for a hyper little Jack Russel. 

Wednesday I went to line dance lessons. We were taught "My Baby in Camouflage" and "Sex on the Beach".



Thursday I got caught up on a little sewing...some of which I had to rip out again.

I found a cute little chain that I can use for reenacting at the Goodwill for $3.  It's in great condition and would be nice for holding my fan.


Friday evening I attended the "Follow the Flag" banquet in Decatur at 6:30.  It was poorly attended because many of the first responders had been called to duty.  Mostly storm related.   Dinner was great catered chicken.  I got to bring back some religious books to send to the troops.  It took me a long time to get home.  The storm came while I was driving on the interstate and visibility was so poor that even driving 30 MPH wasn't helping so I took shelter under a bridge.  Once in Springfield, I was going to take change interstates from I-72 to I-55.  There was a car coming back up the on ramp.  My first thought was "idiot".  Then I saw the lit up police car at the end.  There was flooding on the interstate with fast moving cars driving into the water.  The radio said 3 tractor trailers were over turned as well.  So I had to ziggy through town.  More police cars were blocking viaducts.  That was a challenging puzzle to find a route that wasn't blocked by flooded streets.

There are pictures of the flood on the State Journal Register
http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x1338692242/Another-strong-storm-soaks-Springfield?img=3

Sunday I was a Eucaristic Minister at church.  Afterward I went to Pitsfield for the Civil War Reenactment by the Lake.  I'd never been to a reenactment with such a lovely backdrop for a few Navy boats.  That was super special.

I was expecting a lot of mud so I wore my camp dress and was authentic except for the boots.  I was asked to assist John Austin with his embalming demonstration.  I got to pump the embalming fluid.  (It was only water of course)



I got a kick out of the handicapped sharp shooter with his walker.  I don't mean to speak ill of the handicapped but among reenactors, this would be farby.  There's a time to stick to being a camp follower.  It's also unusually for a boy to be carrying something as vital as the regimental flag.



I got an email with a personal invite to attend the re dedication of the cemetery gate at Oakridge. This is the cemetery where Abraham Lincoln's Tomb is located.  I was a little slow in thought but outside of our Mary Todd reenactor, I'm the only other in town with widow's weeds that seem appropriate for a cemetery.  The commander of the 114th must have been impressed on Memorial Day when I followed the troops at Camp Butler.

News about the gate dedication is here:
http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x1039448288/Monument-Avenue-project-a-family-affair

The news just announced that May was the second wettest recorded month with 10.5 inches of rain.  On the up-side...it's supposed to be rain free the next three days.
Do not trust atoms, they make up everything.

No comments:

Blog Archive