Tuesday, June 18, 2013

My week

Monday I rode to work know I had carefully planned an afternoon off between the dentist and dropping off the bike for an oil change.  I was also mildly twisted my arm into new grips.

During my lunch break on Tuesday, I bought a Toro mower designed for me.  It has both push button and cord start.  I know it was expensive ($669 with all taxes) but has all the girly features a petite woman needs.  Starts with a push button like my motorcycle and the handle is low.

In the evening I went to the Lincoln Tomb for the weekly retreat ceremony.  I got there early to see the "first person" description of the Lincoln Funeral before I donned my own period dress (as technology is outlawed per the by-laws of the Soldiers Aid Society).

I was pleased to see our group leader arrive (in plain clothes) with her grand children for the ceremony.   I was surprised to see my friend, Marilyn whom I went on some of our Golden Frontier trips and our local Gold Star Dad, Jerry, come to the Civil War retreat ceremony.  The cannoniere was on vacation and the cannon did not fire the black powder for that wonderful BOOM.  After the ceremony, they cleared the little cannon of its black powder.  Yeah.

I was pleased to show off my new mower to a few neighbors including a little girl named Claire.  Claire is trying to learn to ride a bicycle without training wheels.   I said by the way that riding a bicycle is easier with speed and that it's more difficult to ride slow...same goes with motorcycling.  So the real skill is not in speed but the art of control in slow speeds.  Her fear is hindering her.
Neighbor, Jessica, who has summer parties till 2AM mentioned the new neighbors diagonally having a house warming party and they weren’t as loud and late as the parties that she has.  I just said it was a house warming party.  Then I informed her that her Hyundai that was parked on the public street had expired plates and should be pulled up in the driveway.  She laughed and said “let’em come, I’ve been trying to sell it”.  Yeah, it doesn’t have a sign on it anymore but when it did, the price was above book.  Kind of odd for someone who wants it hauled off for expired plates.
 

I got online just in time to notice a facebook post by Pam who plays Mary Todd Lincoln about the 
The Insanity Retrial of Mary Todd Lincoln.  
Ya know, how does a person react to a tragedy?  I can't help but think of Amanda Knox's reaction to her roommate's murder as also being odd.  Was Mary's reaction to 3 deaths that unusual?   You can view the trial here:

http://video.wttw.com/video/2335166658

Wednesday evening I went to our AMVETS meeting in Pawnee.  New officers held their first meeting including our commander who happens to be my son.  He needed a gavel.


Thursday evening I got a historic scissors and then went to the homecoming till about 10:45.  By then, the library was closed and will be the same routine Friday.   The band was "Still Kickin'" on their final tour before the group disbands.  I really like them too.  

Saturday I went to Grierson Days.  It rained on the way there and on the way home but the good part during the events was clear and not muddy.  I was in the Ladies Fashion show in my camp dress and later changed for the evening ball.  Here I am time traveling to watch the WW2 reenactment.

Sunday I was reader one at Mass and had to do the second reading as well since there was a no-show.

The rain from the day before left a muddy mess.  The dogs have been digging in the mud too to cool off then putting muddy paw prints all over my tile floor as they came in through the dog door flap.   I mopped the floor twice.  Then decided with all the mugginess from the weather that I should turn on the air conditioner.  I trimmed Marley's fur and gave her a bath.






No comments:

Blog Archive