Monday, June 24, 2013

My week

Tuesday evening I went to the weekly retreat ceremony at the tomb.  The members of the 11th Illinois Infantry reactivated had worn black armbands for a fallen charter member.  Laura asked me if I had been committed to any of the locations for

I then went to the homecoming for the Honor Flight.  I put my welcome home banner up on the ceiling. Our Chatham teen queens and WW2 reenactors were there along with our Italian American War veterans.  I swear those homecomings are half way to a party.

Wednesday morning I woke up to this.

Two giant slugs on my porch screen (before they got salted)


Wednesday I rode the little motorcycle to work so I could do a drop off and pick up at Capitol City Motorsports.  I picked up the Honda after an oil change and new grips. It sputtered and stopped 3 times in less than 2 blocks so I parked it and walked back. Apparently the fuel line was off. He put a zip tie or something on it. I didn't realize that the tank had to come off for the grips and the cable to be given a little slack. Whew! the reset of the way home felt good and I love the feel of the new grips. Now it's the Yamaha's turn to get an oil change. Got a new lawn mower and serviced the riding mower ~life is good!
 Thursday evening I went to an ABATE meeting.  Turnout was poor. It was probably due to the comfortable evening and all the biker events going on.

Afterward I stopped at Walmart for a dog food and a light cotton blanket for the warmer weather.  While there, I met and bumped into Gerald in the meat market.  He started the conversation because  he liked my Legion Riders vest after having worn it to ABATE.  I asked if he belonged to AL and he said no ...just VFW.  Of course that narrowed down to Post 755 (the post that I'm a member of) as it went.   He knew Mike Lee with the Legion Riders at post 32.   I explained that many of the ALR, Sons, and Aux defected to Chatham because of the over head charges caused by the debt on property.

He said he used to work at the co next to the post.  I told him that Bob F couldn't drive anymore.  We talked about the young vets joining as always. I realize many are in a family way and occupation making other things a priority but perhaps one thing may help keep things rolling along.  As I expressed to a veteran and state worker, after you retire, you'll still be a veteran but you seldom see retired state workers getting together like veterans.

Saturday morning I mowed the grass in the back yard and then wen tover to the American Legion for the Legacy Poker Run.
start at 9 A.M. $10.00 a hand all vehicles are welcomed we are opened to the public at our home post located at 206 W. CHESTNUT CHATHAM, Illinois 62629

Kick stands up at 11:30 A.M. stops are as follows:

1. ST. GEORGE ROOM IN CARLINVILLE , ILLINOIS
2. ELDRED AMERICAN LEGION POST 1135
3. DIGGERS BAR WORDEN , ILLINOIS
4. CHAPPS BAR LITCHFIELD , ILLINOIS
5. CHATHAM AMERICAN LEGION POST 759

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE LEGACY SCHOLARSHIP GO TO http://www.legion.org/riders AND SEARCH LEGACY SCHOLARSHIP PLEASE COME AND ENJOY A DAY RIDING FOR A REASON.  https://www.facebook.com/events/136242673232948/


On the way down Route 4, we saw a number of classic cars going in the opposite direction.  I waved and they waved.   The route was pleasant to ride and from Chatham to Jerseyville's fill up I calculated 60 MPG.   Two bikes took a spill and it wasn't me.  Everyone is OK and was able to get back up on the bike.  I even had band aids on my bike to share.  The hardest part was visibility in the rain.  While riding on I-55, there was a young lady in the back seat of a car sticking her thong out at us.

Sunday I rode to Mass and then came home for a little while before heading to the Staab memorial Ride.  Media followed the event. 



We ate at Cafe CoCo on the north side and clouds were coming in.  I needed help turning my bike around since I didn't like the tight turn in gravel. Had a bad experience before. Clouds kept coming.  It rained half way home and I got soaked.  I was so tired.  I guess the fresh air does that.  Went to bed early and I slept a long time.







No comments:

Blog Archive