Wednesday, April 18, 2012

My Week

Ok, I have a cat named David and a coworker has a beagle-basset named Dennis.  David went to the vet for his annual shots.  He also has a non-life threatening abscess to his saliva gland which was drained but will probably recur. My son took him so that I wouldn’t have to take off of work.  I put Dave in a crate for this so he probably won’t be seen for a few days now.
 
I’ve been enjoying fizzy water and sugar free chocolate syrup.  No aspartame in this stuff like there is in diet soda.
Thursday I took Marley to obedience training. Really proud of how far we've come as well as observing our classmates. We did sort of an obstacle course. Then an assistant held our dog's leash while the instructor and I went in another room to test our dog's anxiety. Marley was still. I guess the only thing that disturbs me is that Marley would rather focus on the dropped treats on the floor than the ones in my hand. I thought this was our last class but there are 2 more. First night didn't count. Next week we have photos.
I’m into week 5 of an 8 week class for Marley in obedience training.  Really proud of how far we've come as well as observing our classmates. We did sort of an obstacle course. Then an assistant held our dog's leash while the instructor and I went in another room to test our dog's anxiety. Marley was still. I guess the only thing that disturbs me is that Marley would rather focus on the dropped treats on the floor than the ones in my hand. I thought this was our last class but there are 2 more. First night didn't count. Next week we have photos
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/528925_3818325180082_1336209367_3516153_855601610_n.jpgSaturday morning I got up early for the 2 hour ride to the Quincy Veterans home for a meeting of the advisory council by various veterans groups.  I went representing the Womens Overseas Service League.  The meeting was shorter than usually, only one hour and 2 hours were allotted before lunch was on the agenda. I had brought 14 VHS Disney movies for the residents but was told they didn’t use the old technology anymore.  I ended up freecyling these videos.   A few of us that came some distance wanted to know if we should get on the road and make some time or see if we could have lunch earlier.  We got to eat at the cafeteria early and then hit the road.  It rained all the way there and only a little on the way back.  On the way back I diverted a little to see a historic site, New Philadelphia.   It was a stop on the Underground Railroad.  Not much there but marker and sign of the town’s layout.  There was a sign that said to tune my radio to an AM station for a tour so I did that. 
When I got home I prepared my mess dress and went to a USO fundraiser for the veteran’s memorial in New Berlin.  I met some former coworkers there and it was nice to see them again.  What I didn’t know was that Jimmy had put my name in for a brick paver on their memorial site.  There was a silent auction which I really didn’t need any of that stuff.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/295241_3361836337463_1615723034_2653728_489955167_n.jpgSunday was very busy too.  I started out with mass with the Catholic War Veterans.  I came home and cleaned out a stench coming from my garbage and mopped the floors.  I changed from my Catholic War Veterans blue outfit into my American Legion Riders wear and then off to the Lincoln Death day ceremony at the tomb of Abraham Lincoln.  Here is a picture of the Lincoln Death day ceremony where Song Bird sang on Sunday at 1PM. 9 Mr Lincoln's!  After this ceremony I went to the American Legion where the riders were sponsoring an Italian dinner fund raiser.  I helped serve and I was exhausted.  People came early and I didn’t know my way around the kitchen for needed items at first.  One of our members brought his wife and kids and that was a life saver.  The help those kids made a big difference.  The dinner was a great success.
Monday evening I went to the VFW meeting.
Tuesday after work I went to the VFW and got a chicken dinner to go for my son.  I was still full from lunch.  I got a shirt for the honor guard since there were many small sizes.  Problem is they are men’s small.  I mentioned to Dave that it would need to be altered because it came down to my knees.  If I were to tuck it in my pants, I’d be stuffed like an adult diaper.  He mentioned a white belt and name tag with my post cap and the lady next to him mentioned a tiara.  Tee Hee.  Afterward I went home and cleaned out my gutters from all the twirlly gigs. It’s amazing I didn’t fall.  Last week a man fell off a roof in town.  Then I went to a homecoming at the airport for the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight. Dang, my car seat lever won't lower my seat to insert the flag poles. Cable broke?  Well, I have a detailing appointment on Monday so I’ll have them take a look at it.  They have to remove the seat before any estimate which is $30 alone.
I brought my 30 flags and passed them out.  I tried something new with my welcome home banner by using Velcro instead of rolled duct tape.  That was much better.  This veteran received his HS diploma after his honor flight since he was drafted. Welcome home and congratulations.
My coworker got a Harley Sportster last fall.  He’s starting to ride to work more now that the weather is getting better.  Yesterday he had to point out a bug splatter on his shiny new HD helmet.  Awwww!  Like that will never happen on your way to work.  We are now getting into June bug season. Boy is he in for a surprise.  Then he told me about a near hit with a bird.  I told him I hit 2 birds; once I thought I missed until I got home and found blood on the motorcycle and once on the highway hit a redwing blackbird that wrapped itself on my freeway bars for about a mile and the drag was stripping it down to look like chicken until I kicked it off.
Wednesday will be my only free evening this week.  Thursday I have an appointment at 5PM with my financial advisor and dog class has photos at 7PM so that will be before class before it gets too dark. I got tickets to the Legacy Theater for Friday to see Late Night Catechism.  Saturday I will go to the Old State Capitol in the morning for volunteer appreciation and then in the afternoon to the state military museum to see Kay reenact 3 civil war women.  Sunday is the ABATE motorcycle swap meet. 
My son went to Belleville to see a VA job counselor.  He said he got a little bit lost.  He got some tips on his job search.
Mmmm….I love wasabi peas.
My cat, Dave, was taken to the vet for routine shots.  For the first time I got a rabies tag for his collar.  He had a collar but lost it last year.
The future ain't what it used to be
Prayer is not a "spare wheel" that you pull out when in trouble, but it is a "steering wheel" that directs the right path throughout the journey.

No comments:

Blog Archive