Monday, December 9, 2019

My Week


This has been a busy week.  Tuesday I helped Chaplain Steve with our Wreaths Across America statehouse wreath in conjunction with the capitol Nativity dedication.

A few of us that walked the wreath over from the podium to the flags after the ceremony.


Tuesday evening I took Amber to her Trick Dog Class at Pawsitive Zone.  So far she has the following titles.  AKC is familiar but DMWYD stands for "Do More With Your Dog" title.
Wednesday I got a new coat at the Goodwill since I left mine in Metamora the previous week.  It may be a long time before I see that coat.  Perhaps I'll get it back in May when I see the museum curator, Alex, at the Morton reenactment.

Friday I took Amber to Delavan for NADAC jumpers to see how she'd do at her first agility trial.  She had two beginner agility runs. There were no Qualifying scores because we she missed a few jumps but many compliments on her jumps.  The other dog that was also a first timer like me, didn't do as well as Amber so for that I am grateful.  On the first run, Amber ran to the back of the area but she did come back to join me.  The other dog that was on a first agility run did this too but did not get back under control. 

If you look close, there's a missed jump. I need to ask my instructor on Tuesday how to handle that.  In other words, is it OK to back track to make the run over or is that considered "off course" error.
On the second run she didn't run out to the back stretch but still took the inside of a jump.  This little girl does have potential.  I think Amber enjoyed it more than I did. Either way, she did NOT QUALIFY so if I had a curly tail, it would be tucked between my legs.

If you cut out the bad parts and put them together I could have an excellent run. but separately the were a non-qualify. Amber had more fun than I did stress-wise. on the way back from Delavan, she slept on the front seat like a peaceful little baby.

Saturday was busy.  First I took the girls to see Santa at the Laketown Animal Clinic at 10AM.
I think they asked Santa for treats, toys and a nice walk.  I think they liked the jolly old Elf.


 Then I went to the Pearl Harbor Remembrance ceremony at the Elks Lodge on Lake Springfield.  The director of IL Veterans Affairs, called out a young man whom she met before the ceremony. 
Story of Pearl Harbor shared across the generations with a WW2 veteran. 

Here are the members of our Women's Overseas Service League that attended.


Amvets Members present at the Remembrance: Jerry, Grace and myself.
 After the wreaths were tossed into the lake, there was a rifle volley.  That noise startled the nearby birds and even an eagle took off to the right.  I don't think everyone noticed the eagle because it flew away from our focal point at the pier. 

After the ceremony I had just enough time to get to the annual Vietnam Christmas Remembrance with heart ornaments of the fallen. Since the dogs were in the car and the weather was nice, they got to attend the ceremony. 
A woman places a heart on the fir tree with a name of one of the Illinois fallen Vietnam veterans.  The hearts were smaller last year but the name on the smaller hearts was easier to read.
 still had the dogs with me.  The girls were in the car for the car for the Pearl Harbor ceremony.
I came home and got a few thing caught up with the 2 hour break before Christmas at the Front at the Illinois State Military Museum.  Our Soldiers Aid Society talked about a soldiers Christmas box request.  


After Mass was "doughnut Sunday".  I showed the Conley's Amber's first agility video since his poodle used to do agility.  We had a nice conversation about dogs.  Then I took Amber to the the nursing home to perform a few tricks.  When my son came over for his laundry day, he helped to assemble the coat rack for my "transition area" that I got from Wayfair on a black Friday special.  I had seen a similar inspiration over the summer at the place we stayed at during our sisters get-together.  I just waited till I found the right one at the right price and didn't want to order it before I went on my trip.


 Amber likes it.  As you can see, I can't block that air duct so this is perfect for my needs.
This will really be handy when I walk the dogs and have to throw my coat on the floor to tend to unleashing them or running to the bathroom.  Then the coat never gets picked up.Later I went to the Chiara Center's Nativity Festival.
Here I am in my Nativity shirt next to my loaned Nativity refrigerator magnets.
 This was an interesting Nativity made from PVC pipes covered in fabric
 Lego Nativity
Here's a 3D Printer Nativity.
Well things are going to be busy with one less weekend between Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Gotta go....

No comments:

Blog Archive