Monday, December 24, 2018

My Week


It [Christmas] is, indeed, the season of regenerated feeling—the season for kindling not merely the fire of hospitality in the hall, but the genial flame of charity in the heart. - Washington Irving, Sketchbook “Christmas.” 1820.

Fun with dogs.  Both Hank and Moe had a scratch at Thanksgiving.  Round 2 dog wrestling for Christmas.  Here's Moe's cut.  Hank had similar.

Wednesday evening was the last of the Downtown Holiday Walks.  I snapped this picture of Jennifer in her shirt that says "Be nice to the tour guide Santa is watching"
I gave a tour to an out-of-town couple with all the noise and kids seeing Santa. It was also a bit dark in many of the rooms because of the candlelight.  Some of the rooms, like the Secretary of State's room, had Santa so I talked about the room before entering and then pointing around quietly as we walked through.  I stopped by the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum to see the seasonal display known as Christmas in the white house.  Afterward I stopped by the Old State Capitol.  Francie was there and she said she helped at the museum on Thursday and she made my day when she saw the couple that I gave a tour to the night before.  They did ask my name and Francie said that Rose gave them  a tour in period dress.

Friday was Sophie's birthday so I dressed her up and took her to PetsMart.
I took Sophie and Amber to Petsmart to get some food and liver treats.  They were googled over in the shopping cart.  Then at checkout they got a dog bone.  Amber ate hers and Sophie saved hers.  Then Amber went for Sohie's bone and she defended it and a fight began that I had to separate.  Clerk asked if that happens often and I said rarely.  It was the bone.  I got bit in the process.

I feel a lot of good-doers are restricted by charity to the poor recipients in an effort to protect the privacy of the recipients.  Therefore, organizations have become a middle ground for distribution of things like blankets, care packages and letters to soldiers, etc.   Gofundme pages are dubious as evidenced by the news media.  You can't even trust charitynavigator anymore because a poor report that drove the changes will not be reflected on their site or updated their efforts.  Supplies for tornado victims go into a black hole.  All they want is $.  Even donating your volunteer time results in "you're doing it wrong".  Have you ever seen a full box of donations just days before Christmas that's uncollected?
I watched a movie called "The Christmas Star" on AMC.
Just when I thought I saw it all, an update cross over of the Scrooge and It's a Wonderful Life.  Closed captioning really sucks on these oldies.

I made my first gingerbread house.  Sure it was a kit but now I have a new respect for those that make them from scratch.
Saturday night I walked the dogs under a full moon.



Sunday I was the first reader at Mass.
http://usccb.org/bible/readings/122318.cfm
I wore my holly dress and of course, Father John would rib me about it not being Christmas yet.  That's why I was careful to wear holly because it is seasonal.

After Sean and Moe left, I went to clean poop 💩 from yard. I found lots of feathers in 2 spots. Then the sliding door locked me out and had to climb over fence. Now Amber has a muddy marrow chew bone I washed it for her.

Then from 1-3PM I went to observe Nosework Play Day. I think that Amber has a nose for this. I need to get a nosework kit.  Sniffin' out the kitchen:
 The dog's behavior changes on an alert scent in a box.
 Outside course is more difficult because of the wind and scent from other dog's urine.

I'm preparing a presentation on the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight for the DAR on Jan 5th.  I came across this video that I just saw myself at 2:11 on the timer.    

Christmas eve day, I took Sophie on her 90th visit of the year.  Still have one visit left on my calendar too.
I sometimes think about leaving Illinois if only I had a better destination.  I'd like one of my sons to find a better job and take me with them. 
http://www.chicagonow.com/getting-real/2018/02/illinois-1-in-nation-for-residents-leaving-the-state/
Working age taxpayers lead the charge of those leaving Illinois. A dwindling tax base will only equal worsening conditions...and higher taxes if you decide to stay. Let us help you escape this death spiral at www.getoutofillinois.com .

Next blog...what did we get for Christmas. 

No comments:

Blog Archive