Monday, December 31, 2018

My "Holiday" Week

Merry Christmas to all.

Christmas Eve my sons and I went to Mass.  It was such a wonderful way to celebrate Christmas. The evening started with music by a string quartet. It was heavenly listening to those strings. Then the choir took over. The choir director chose some fantastic music: traditional, contemporary, rock, a little country, and even a Latin hymn. It was so moving and such fun! In the spirit of Christmas, I wish all of you a blessed Christmas, safe travels, good food, and the chance to make wonderful memories. 💙🌲 The sermon was about the 200th anniversary of Silent Night.  In 2013 I went to the church in Ramsau where Father Mohr authored “Silent Night”.

For Christmas I got an Applebees gift card from my sister-in-law, a Walmart Gift Card from my brother, new boots from Alan, candle from my son, Air evaporative cooler from my son, wind chimes from my son, a St Francis cross from my son to replace the one that the dog chewed, a robe from my son to replace the one that the dog chewed, a hoodie from my son, Truffle oil and kitchen towel from my sisters, dog training book from my son, and toothbrush sterilizer from my son.  What I had to keep secret was the fact that Alan and his last minute shopping asked me if I wanted a robot vacuum.  That's what I had gotten him on a Black Friday special and had to say Noooooo!  When he opened his gift, he laughed.

I told my sons about how my father used to scare us by putting cotton in the door and tell us it was Santa's beard as he slammed the door on him.

Alan did most of the cooking.  He made vegetables, prime rib and mashed potatoes.  I fixed Yorkshire pudding as recommended compliment to prime rib. 

Alan shared a few things he made with his 3D printer.


Then we had our traditional dog walk.  We all needed it after dinner and presents.  The weather was nice...50 degrees.  Not like expected on Christmas Day.   After they left,
I watched The Christmas Chronicles.

The day after Christmas I went went to my exercise class.  After that I dropped my dogs off with Alan and went to Wisconsin.  I was to be the unexpected surprise there since my other sister would be visiting as well.  Supposedly a secret surprise but may have been leaked.  Besides, gas prices were very reasonable and the driving weather suitable.  Driving is risky this time of year.  Once I stayed an extra day because of a snow storm which was safe then because I saw the cars still in the ditches after the roads were clear the day after.

On the way up, there was an accident on the way near Canton, IL. Based on the skid marks, the SUV was off road in the ditch and tried to recover.Too bad I couldn't click a photo of the grill on that SUV.  What a mess.
 I saw 2 Amish buggies near Fenimore near dusk with their lights.  It's hard to see those black buggies when it gets dark. When I got there, Dan performed a great vallet service and put my car in his shed (partially to maintain the surprise when the Swedas arrive).  There it was parked and brought to the house when I left.

I went to two of Patty's aerobic classes at the community center.  I was glad I didn't miss too much of my classes at PowerWorks.

Patty and I went to Viroqa to pick up some last minute items and I got to see the Veterinary clinic where she used to work.  Nice place.  No wonder she enjoyed working there.  Then we had soup at the co-op.  Yum!  She asked if there was a co-op near me and I didn't know.  At least they are not advertised as such.  I'll check out three I found on a google search when I get back.

The house was nice and warm with the wood burning stoves.  Very comfortable.  Swedas arrived Thursday evening.  They brought Emily Delagaraza from Florida and their grandson, Logan.  Logan doesn't talk but sure made a lot of noise.  Emily got teased about the cold weather as to be expected.  Ginny trimmed Patty's bangs.



Friday Logan got a haircut.  He called for momma but I think momma would've approved of him getting a haircut.  No rescue from momma.
After the haircut, we had a walk at the nearby reserve.
It was a bit icy and Emily wouldn't walk on it.  Logan wanted me to pick him up and I wouldn't.  The risk of slipping with his weight would not be safe for him or my spinal fusion should adrenaline be pumpin'.


So we went to the interpretive center.  Apparently flooding is common in the Kickapoo valley for a long time as the video showed all the years and the dam was started but never built. Dan said the Sierra Club was instrumental in stopping the dam because of the unique rock formations.  Now flooding is common despite a dam that was 39 percent complete.  What a shame the damage I saw. La Farge has been whipped harsh by flooding. Here's more about the history of the dam that never happened.
http://kvr.state.wi.us/About-Us/History/Kickapoo-Valley-Reserve/Flood-Control-to-Reserve/

When we got back we all had a facial mask.  There were 4 different kinds of packets and the one labeled for aging skin was passed over my way.

I couldn't help but think of this video that Sean posted on facebook earlier.  Our masks were wash off kind unlike the peel off mask.

  

Saturday's wagon ride with Clydesdale horses had to be canceled because of the weather.  Ice was expected.  So we went for a walk, went shopping and played games.  Took a ride on the gator to see the horses.  I think the black one likes me.  He gave me kisses.
 Then we went to the cabin.
Inside the cabin it's cozy but rustic.  No electric.


 She has a lovely, unique coffee pot in there that was amazing to look at.  She had a few guests that like to rough it.  She showed me a notebook with their comment reviews. 
 Bedroom is nice.  Much better than tenting out.
Some great chili was enjoyed by all.  I left Sunday morning.  My departure had a fly over by a pair of hawks.  I also saw an eagle perched on a high tree just south of Boscobel.  I stopped by Alan's to pick up my dogs.  I was greeted by my 2 girls and his Labrador, Hank. You'd think by the way all 3 greeted me that you wouldn't know my dogs from his. He seemed to be entertained by Amber's antics and whimper but he showed me a gash on his arm where he had to break up a fight.  We had lunch at a Mexican restaurant. Food was good but too salty. He showed me the gym, Fitness America, where he's a member.  It's a 24-hr equipment place with no classes like mine. We walked the dogs around the block.  Then we cleaned up the dog waste in his back yard. It hadn't been done in awhile.  He showed me his 3-D printer.  I thought for a moment and suggested trying a dog dumb bell with his printer.  Dumb bells are a training tool that I've seen at events.  He said it would take about 12 hours to print.  I asked if he needed help with the oil problem in his car.  He turned me down but left it open.  He did announce his car was paid off. 

Sean was at my house doing laundry and turned the heat on for me since I turned it down while away.  He knew I'd be home a little later.  His dog vomited on my front porch.  Thankfully outside and not in his car.  I cleaned that up. The rain will get the rest.

Must have been very windy on Thursday because the neighbor's small tree near my dogwood is down.
 I'm missing the blue bin that separates my recycles. Gone in the wind.
I signed Amber up for another training class in January.  It will be held on Thursday Mornings.  Off to a good start

No comments:

Blog Archive