Monday, September 24, 2018

my week

Monday evening I helped with Obedience class.  I made name tags just like I had when I was in this class with the dog's name and the handler's name.  Apparently I'll leave the owner's name off next week because of the couples doing training together.  I was warned by our primary instructor that there was a young lady with a coon hound in the class that was shy and had social issues.  When she got there, I noticed the dog was pretty active.  I asked her to look around and she saw that there were a lot of unruly dogs.  She also had said her dog jumps fences.  I recommended fence rollers (commercially sold as Coyote Rollers)  that she can look up on youtube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjKtkajstG8

Tuesday afternoon I went to Heritage Hospice for a veterans appreciation and recognition for John Haines.  He's a WW2 veteran and member of multiple veterans organizations.  I replaced him as secretary for the Sangamon County Veterans Assistance Commission.  However, while we were waiting for others that were coming (and a bit lost finding the Heritage Hospice), I was the only one wearing veteran's attire and was asked to be a part of another Korean War veteran that was in hospice.  He was John Rathmusen (sp) and he was Air Force and of course, I was.  After the staff of Memorial Medical Center (social worker and chaplain) did their presentation, I saluted this veteran as a fellow airman.  I announced to the guest there, that "Today was the Air Force's 71st birthday.  After that we did the same ceremony for our beloved friend, John Haines.



This man in the red shirt is a social worker and I had met him at Reflections with Sophie.  He remembered me with my therapy dog.  I gave the staff my card and told them they could call if they felt a need for a therapy dog but that there's paperwork to sign.

On Thursday Morning, John Haines passed away at 8:40AM.  A few years ago, I interviewed him on his service and created a bio here:
https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApps?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=381188

On Wednesday I went to a Christian Women's' luncheon.  I had been their guest speaker in the past as a reenactor.  I felt a little guilty as a first timer to their luncheon when the also had a little gift for the September birthdays.  Their speaker created the Immanual Quilt and shared the inspirational story.
Here's her website. https://www.immanuelquiltministry.com/index.html

Friday I was an extra on an educational film shoot on Lincoln and Douglas at the Old State Capitol and Lincoln's New Salem.  Here is Stephen Douglas doing his political thing.
 The Lincoln Herndon law offices have been closed for years but today there was filming inside.
 I did a selfie in the law office in my 1850 dress.

 Recreating the Lincoln Douglas debate.
 I had a picnic this eve with staff and volunteers from the Old State Capitol prior to Justin era. I brought the dogs and walked in the park but during our dinner, I noticed the lump under Sophie's right eye.  That has me worried.  Now I need to get her to the veterinarian.  How will I find the time?

Saturday I had a dress rehearsal for the Wimmer Cemetery Walk at 10 AM.  Later I helped as docent at the Elijah Iles house.

Sunday I went to an a 25th Anniversary Party for friends.  I wore the same dress that I wore to church and still had our parish name tag on.  Someone noticed that the tag was from Chatham.  That surprised me because we haven't had the practice that long.

I'm an assistant to an obedience class on Monday. I'm taking Amer to leash class on Tuesday. I'm trying really hard to get that 1 yr dog training experience needed to become a TDI evaluator.
https://tdi-dog.org/HowToJoinEvaluators.aspx



No comments:

Blog Archive