Wednesday, August 8, 2018

My Week



Soldiers Aid Society participates in History Comes Alive at the Old State Capitol.  
http://www.visitspringfieldillinois.com/Documents/HCASchedule18.pdf
Thursday evening I went to the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library for a panel discussion by some witnesses to the 1968 riots at the Democratic Convention  in Chicago.

There was wine and cheese afterward.  I did a few selfies flirting with the characters.





Saturday I was in the color guard for the car show.


I came home for a quick change to attend a 50th wedding anniversary party for Larry and Shirley Hackman whom are members of the Central Illinois Dancers.The wedding couple showed up in a horse and carriage at Snyder Village in Metamora. 

Sunday I went to the Purple Heart ceremony in Oak Ridge Cemetery.

Here's a link to the news media that was there:
https://newschannel20.com/news/local/veterans-were-honored-during-purple-heart-ceremony

Monday I went to the Legion and it was the big meeting with the new officers and awards.  I had to cut it short for the Obedience class.We learned to wipe paws and treat, toss bean bags into a hula hoop as a distraction.

Tuesday I gave tours at the Lincoln Tomb before the flag lowering ceremony.  I'm testing out dresses that I had not worn in awhile.  I did have to let a dart panel out for this one.  I noticed after I was there that some darning is needed in one of the sheer, white sleeves.  I was the master of ceremony for the event. I had worried about the predicted rain that came at 3:30 instead of 7PM.

I am standing in this photo.  Stephanie and Peggy are on a stool.

I didn't kennel Amber before leaving for the tomb and it was a long absence.  I came home and walked her.  An hour later, I caught Amber starting to poo right in front of me on a baby quilt floor mat. Seems that pads, newspapers and throw rugs are the problem. I can't believe I caught it in time and raced her to the back yard to finish the job. Praise and treats.


I got a newsletter from Lincoln's New Salem. They got too many roosters from chicks the school that raised the Leghorns and donated them to the site. Ha. Seriously they need homes for Leghorn roosters before cock fights begin. 
The use of chickens for sport is referenced by Lincoln himself and related by Benjamin Thomas in Lincoln’s New Salem: It is said that he [Lincoln] once refereed a cockfight in which one of the roosters belonged to Babb McNabb. Babb had bragged a great deal about the fighting qualities of his bird, and it was matched with a hardy veteran of the New Salem pit. Bets ran high. When the two roosters were thrown into the pit, McNabb's, seeing his battle-scarred opponent advancing upon him, turned tail and ran. At a safe distance he mounted a fence, proudly spread his feathers and crowed lustily. Babb, paying over his wager to the owner of the victor, looked at his own bird. "Yes, you little cuss," said he, "you're great on dress parade, but not worth a damn in a fight." Years later, when General McClellan was exhausting the patience of Lincoln and the country by continually drilling and reviewing the Army of the Potomac, but persistently refusing to fight, Lincoln remembered this incident and likened McClellan to Babb McNabb's rooster. The chickens donated to LNSSHS are of the Leghorn variety. This breed was imported to the United States from the Italian city of Livorno sometime around the middle 1800s (sources vary). “Livorno” was anglicized to “Leghorn,” and the name stuck. So, our young “Italians” – what they were called until about 1865 – were probably not found in the village, but we will keep them anyway.
 
Why is it that I feel shut out?  I'm the last to know about family situations.  I've been open to them.  Maybe I'm too open and they are afraid to be included in my life (aka this blog).  For the same reason I've been accused of making this blog all about me by my brother so why would anyone fear that I'd write about other family member's problems?  Goodbye.   

No comments:

Blog Archive