Monday, July 2, 2018

My week

Tuesday Alan went to the hospital with chest pains and they didn't find anything so they kept him overnight. I called to cancel my volunteering at the Lincoln Tomb. I went to pick up his dog, Hank.  I walked him around the block before putting him in my car.    Now I had to get his garage remote from his car to get into his house.  He had installed a new combination lock on the front door but never programmed it. On top of that, he uses a door knob blocker to keep people out even if I did have a code.  If he's that conscious, maybe his should just board up the doors!  I was able to find his second garage door opener and kept it in case of a similar emergency. I canceled my volunteer activity at the Lincoln Tomb.

Wednesday I went to "Porch Chats" on 'Growing Up in Springfield' at the Elijah Iles House.

Now I think I came to an Ah Ha moment that I don't need to replace my second dog, Pearl, who died last November.   I had saved searches on PetFinder.com and what I want must be really popular because they are taken before me.  I had a request for Lusis locate in O'Fallon through "Once Upon a Prayer".  I was asked to provide my phone number but then I got a "bait and switch". I was texted this same photo of a dog called Cosmo who was also listed as Miko. Then told he was adopted.
Cosmo was then adopted and I was turned toward a schnauzer named Hank:

By this time, I felt a run around and this was all the same shelter.  The phone number I received texts from was in Joliet and not in O'Fallon.  Since I've been wanting a second dog since loosing Pearl and could not find the perfect one, that it wasn't meant to be.  When you pray for something, sometimes the answer is no.   THEN, Thursday I got a bulletin from a friend about a new arrival at Animal Protective League.  I call this text an "Amber Alert" because she was called Ember.   She's a cairn terrier mix or Glen of Imaal Terrier and will be one in December. Return is possible but she walks and is trainable. She is coming into her first heat but has a spay appointment for Friday, July 6. Only been a few hours and first few were in kennel. I was told she's not house broke. Previous owner couldn't keep her by landlord. Then a lady returned her after week because of intolerance to the potty training but a volunteer at the APL told me that lady expected a ready made pet. She's not real noisy....yet! There was a whimper in the kennel. 
She wasn't used to the booster seat.  Note the rain on the window.
I got her in the car in the middle of a nasty lightning storm.  They called her Ember but she doesn't know her name.  She may become an Amber because of the alert given by a friend and plus her amber color.  I also recently got an amber necklace on ebay that reminded me of the Baltic amber from Poland.  I got it for $4 plus shipping and it said glass beads but I think it's genuine amber.  http://polamjournal.com/Library/APHistory/Amber_in_Poland/amber_in_poland.html
My son doesn't seem to like the name Amber so I challenged him to come up with something better.
It's heavy too.

Here's her first time kenneled when I had to leave. She's not pleased.  However, she's quiet overnight.




In addition, I've asked my sister with cancer for updates.  She replies that she'd update after she gets news from her procedure the following day and then never does it.  I hate to ask every day. Now I learn she had multiple strokes.  I just don't know how to properly react to all this.

Look at this weather on Thursday, Jun 29, 2018!


Friday I went to the Old State Capitol.  I came home to let the dogs out and then went to Lincoln for the Railsplitters Ball.  Here's Amelia's Waltz.  I like the waltz.


Saturday night I went to see "Gone With The Wind" in Gillespie. It's just short of an hour drive.


It was a dress up party.  I loved these ladies outfits as plantation workers.  But most just did modern vintage look plus those red hat ladies.

They loved our Southern attire.  Trouble is that the theater was not air conditioned and there was a heat advisory this day.  There were ceiling fans in this old theater.  It's a long movie and I constantly fanned myself.  We got the real Southern BBQ party atmosphere for sure. 
 Some of the winners of the door prizes.
The show would have gone on till 11PM and with an hour drive ahead I was feeling a bit drowsy so I left a little early.

Sunday Moe met Amber (still not her permanent name).  She passed the Moe test.  I did fix lunch for Sean but warned him to at at the dinner table and not the coffee table because she hasn't learned manners yet.
In the afternoon, I went to the ball park for color guard opening to the Springfield Sliders game.  Scattered showers were predicted but looked off in in the distance.  Well after the national Anthem, I left and later is poured.  I heard on the radio that the game was canceled.

Looks like a playful pup....
I too was having trouble with her potty training.  She would pee outside but poop inside.  The potty training triangle recommended on "Lucky Dog" was not working.  Then, instead of scolding and cleaning up the mess, I put the mess in the back yard where I wanted her to go.  The next day it worked. 
I end this on a sad note of my older sister's poor health in decline.  She's gone from cancer to stroke to heart problems.  Her voice sounded fine on the phone though.

No comments:

Blog Archive