Monday, January 16, 2017

My Week

You may recall from last week that I had trouble hearing my hair dryer that was on overnight since I don't dry my hair with hearing aids on.  Well my sister suggested I get a hairdryer that automatically shuts off and I happened to have an Amazon card from my other sister.  My son installed the wall mount like they have in hotels.  Yea!

Monday I took Sophie to the Regency Home at 10:30 and then at 1PM to St John's Hospice.  We had some smiles and a family member inquired about getting into the TDI program.  We can always use more therapy dogs so we don't spread ourselves too thin.  Besides, some of the senior dogs are getting ready to retire.  In the evening I went to dance practice with the Springfield International Folk Dancers.  Although I'm more interested in the gentile dancing, they like to add other ethnic dances. 

Wednesday the pain in my lumbar/hips was so bad that postponed my chiropractor visit till the afternoon.  I was in tears from pinched nerves at the hip-thigh bone joint.  I went back to the chiropractor after a rest.  In the evening we had birthday cake for Sean at our AMVETS meeting.  The Chatham Cafe donated the German Chocolate cake for the celebration of loyal customers.  I brought candles.


Thursday the workers came and installed the ceiling fan in my sun room.  Now for the linoleum, trim and gutters and we're done.  Progress was slow since they started in November.  Weather and other construction jobs got in the way.  Now it is a muddy mess.
In the evening I went to a meeting of the Catholic War Veterans. 

Friday I had my long awaited VA hearing appointment at Jefferson Barracks (105 miles away).  I got up early and got ready to leave at 7AM.  Then I checked the weather.  The ice storm was bad in St Louis although it didn't seem like it here.  I called and rescheduled for Jan 29.  Then I did a little pre-storm shopping.  I had to get the milk, bread and wine you know.  I put a tarp over my car like the neighbor did.  Well then I waited and waited.  The ice that was supposed to hit in the afternoon didn't come.  I went to bed and it still the road was clear as a bell.  However, in the morning it was thick.
Saturday morning the ice was on the ground.
I salted my driveway with the remainder of my bag that I've had for years.  The temperature was in the 30s so it didn't last all day.

I tried to walk Sophie via the crisp grass.  I got across Park Ave which is a main road but walking on the grass 3 houses down I turned around. Grass is OK to walk on but the damn driveways get in the way. The gully was wet and slushy and I walked in that with my snow boots.  It cleared up as the day went on. Later, I went to go to St John's Hospice at 2pm to see another Therapy Dog in action.  Linda and Milly the Beagle arrived in a pet stroller.  She didn't wear her TDI badge.  Just the hospital volunteer Samaritan badge. Milly didn't were her TDI ID tag on her collar nor had the TDI neck scarf.  Linda said she didn't care to use the signature sheet for the visits which makes me wonder.  Some of the rooms on the wing that had recently closed had a sign on the door saying "occupied".  That's for staff that had to stay the night for the ice storm.
There was supposed to be a second round of freezing rain the following night so I covered my car with a tarp again.  However it didn't happen.  

Sunday's sermon was about St John the Baptist.  How many of us will openly say that we hope our replacement at work does a better job than I did?  Well that's what John said about One coming that is greater than I.  Father also mentioned the difference between envy and jealousy.  The main difference between envy and jealousy is that envy is the emotion of coveting what someone else has, while jealousy is the emotion related to fear that something you have will be taken away by someone else.
 http://www.diffen.com/difference/Envy_vs_Jealousy
After Mass there was a pancake and sausage breakfast.  When my son came over, we had chicken and dumplings.  He liked it and I gave him some to take with him.

No comments:

Blog Archive