Tuesday, January 12, 2016

My Week

My article of my summer reenacting personna was published in the "Citizen's Companion" and you can read it here:
 http://www.citizenscompanion.com/a-fictional-historical-account-of-lincolns-passing/

Wednesday I went to a Legion Riders meeting. We discussed our American Legion Riders Legacy ride (whom Roger's children are eligible for benefits) and naming our ride his memorial ride.
Then Saturday I went to the VFW for a memorial for SSgt Roger Gross who had been wounded in Iraq in 2006.  Sen McCann gave a nice proclamation to his parents.

Staff Sgt. Roger Gross remembered for humor, love of children 

I brought my yard concrete soldier for decor that is stamped "Iraqi Freedom" on the back.  This same statue was at a funeral for Chad Young.  I think they appreciated the added touch.  Chad's dad also came to make condolences and I thought that was very nice.

Friday evening I had dinner with friends at the Hawaiian BBQ.

Saturday Morning I started out in a bad mood.   I got an email begging for an item (a flag donation) that would have cost anyone less than $50 but instead seeking a donation.  Heck, nothing is free.   I learned that the previous flag(s) were paid for out-of-pocket by Les from our post.  He should be proactive and do it himself.   I have always felt that if you want something done you got to do it yourself.  Another thing I hate is charities begging from other charities for money.  That's like some kids who don't want to hold a bake sale so they beg from those who did.  I'm sorry but letter writing fund campaigns are not real fundraisers.

Have I not been charitable enough  with all this begging going on?  Hey I'm retired now and still giving and now I have expenses like hearing aids and eye glasses.  I've seen what junk people buy for one-time uses and trashed on pick up days while walking the dog.  Sometimes I'm guilty of buying junk but then I'm also charitable in other ways.

So with that on my mind, I'm walking my dog and I see another pet peeve.  This house that has a large shrub growing into the drive way so the lady has to have her car's wheels off the pavement.  Why doesn't she remove the bush?  Does she think it provides privacy?

Well, you know I mentioned that I walked the dog.  I'm glad I did so early (like it was still dark and barely sunrise) because by 9AM it rained and then it turned to snow by 10:30.  This was the first accumulation of snow but I still didn't have to shovel.



This snow rips my heart(s) out of my motorcycles.  Here is where they rest for the winter.

Sunday it was one degree when I got up and walked my dog.  I'm glad she did "it" fast.  Later I walked her just as short of a walk and the wind chill make it feel even colder.  I have a fire in the fireplace going.  I went to a District meeting of the American Legion held at our post.

Names were listed in our church bulletin of donations of poinsettias for our Christmas decor.  I donated one in honor of my adopted soldier through Soldiers Angels.
I mentioned this to a fellow parishioner and she suggested I send my adoptee the Prayer to St Michael, patron of soldiers.
PRAYER TO
SAINT MICHAEL
THE ARCHANGEL
St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls. Amen..

I took Sophie to Reflections home on Monday.  I'm not allowed to take photos but they can and took a picture of her on the lap of one of the residents for their activity board.  It made me proud of her.

I am getting close to finishing my son's ancestry application for the Sons of the American Revolution but not through the Connolly line.  However, there is a direct descendant line from James McDade  and here's his story.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wvpioneers/jamesmcdade.html

We celebrated my son's birthday with dinner at Outback Steakhouse and then came home to give him his gift from both his mom and brother; a gift that he had dropped a hint.
I got my DVD "Now He Belongs to the Ages ~ Lincoln Tomb" in the mail yesterday and haven't watched it.  I purchased and advance copy last year.  It's an hour long so I will watch it today.

No comments:

Blog Archive