Monday, July 27, 2015

My Week

Tuesday I noticed that there would be a wreath laying at the Old state Capitol at 2:30.  I messaged the manager about it since the site is only open Wednesday through Saturday.  He said he'd open special for the Vietnam Veterans Convention that was in Springfield and asked if I could help out.   I said sure so I wore my VFW shirt.  They noticed I wore my VFW Post 755 shirt and we got into a conversation.  I told them my husband was a 3 tour Vietnam Vet.  Then when the gentlemen learned that I was a Vietnam Era veteran they tried to talk me into joining them too.  I don't need to join another group especially restricted to a particular time frame that will eventually end.  I see this happening to our Korean War veterans group as they dwindle.  In evening I gave my presentation of Distant Memories and received 2 tips.  I wore my modest dress and the new shawl that I got in the mail the day before.
I keep saying I'll stop adding to my historic wardrobe with the end of the sesquicentennial of the Civil war but I ordered new shoes.

Well I came home via Chatham Road over I-72 which the bridge is down to a single lane controlled by a traffic light. The light is not in sync in both directions. We ended up head to head with on coming traffic in the single lane.  I was not the lead car but about 4th when our light turned green.  My side ended up loosing the stare off and about 12 cars had to back off the bridge.  That's insane.

I've been planning a pilgrimage to the tomb of our VFW Post's namesake, Lafore Lock, who died in WW1 on Oct 18, 1918.  I thought we'd start small and build up to the 100th anniversary of his death in 2018. I've learned that his unit is still active and they may be interested in participating.  I've asked our local reenactors to attend.

Wednesday my new prescription arrived from Express-Scripts. I take Prevastatin before bed.  I was afraid of having cramps in the middle of the night but so-far I haven't.  I have noticed a change in my body oder but it could be the heat and humidity.

Thursday was my house cleaning day.  The house may look a mess because everything that was on the floor is on tables and chairs for cleaning beneath.  Then I noticed that the furnace needed changed.  Bad Bad Bad! It was dirty.  Besides, I never noticed there's an arrow on the filter for a right way to install it.

Saturday morning it rained but I walked my dog before it hit.  Then it cleared up.  I drove to the Patriot Guard "Meet and Greet".  I had recalled that the parking lot at Top Cats had a gravel lot and after a recent rain I drove rather than rode.  However, the lot had been paved during the remodeling.  We had pulled pork and cole slaw.  Once again it was top heavy with ride captains so it was a greet the captains and a few flagliners.  I did finally see Dan, the state captain.  It was nice to see Fat Fred again.  Then I left to got to see Servant's Tour of Edwards Place. I had asked if I could take photos or video when I purchased my ticket and it was granted.  Here Annie tells of her situation before entering the historic sight via the rear entrance.



This is the upstairs video:


This is the dining room:
Here is a video from the children's room
Mrs Edwards is a strict boss.  Get a close up of the belt when she addresses Miss Rose:


I came home and turned on my air conditioner!
Sunday I read the second reading at Mass.  Fr John gave a sermon about the loaves and fishes and how we can all do just a little bit and clean out our closets for St. Martin de Porres. Ironically, that's what I'd been doing this week after moving all the reenacting stuff around.  After my son did his laundry, I went to the Downed Rider Benefit in Athens.  I brought Sophie with me but she had to remain outside the gate.  I did get her to meet and greet to test her with others before the exam next week.  She did pretty well and only jumped in the beginning.  I had donated a few things to the silent auction like the Harley Barbie and Ken dolls that I was trying to sell on Craigslist.  I know that Ken doll brought in at least $45 and Barbie at least $25 when I looked. 

All this rain has made the humidity very high.  Even when I wear my sunglasses they fog up just blinking.  Be thankful you can't smell me as I write this.  I've never experience such before.  Now we have heat advisories for the coming week and I have to wear my period dress for Distant Memories outside.

I got a call to show up at Tuesday's Vacation Bible school at 9:15 to receive a bunch of cards for our soldiers. I'll bring a box that I've half way prepared for dispatch and tell the kids OUR story about Soldiers Angels.

No comments:

Blog Archive