Tuesday, July 21, 2015

My Week

Whoo Hoo.  I got an email from my adopted soldier, Alex.  My letters and packages are making it through and the address must be right that I got from Soldiers Angels.

Remember in my last "My Week" blog that I mentioned a blood test?  Well that resulted in a prescription for cholesterol medication...at least for a year trial.  It makes me feel old but yet many younger than I have more meds than this.  I told my son and didn't even know that he was on cholesterol meds and blood pressure meds for his headaches.

Tuesday evening I skipped the Lincoln Tomb retreat ceremony and went to an event at the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library.  Mark DePue, head of oral history at the presidential library, interviewed Abner Mikva and moderated questions from the audience. C-SPAN cameras joined us for tonight's presentation by Abner Mikva, who worked in all three branches of federal government and received the Presidential Medal of Freedom. He discussed Lincoln, Obama, his Mikva Challenge program and more
 Outside there was a pushy man protesting "No more Gun Laws" but guns were not discussed during the presentation.
Wednesday our exercise instructor showed us photos of her baby's ultra sound.  Fr George noted the angle of the baby's foot and other markings made the baby look like a rabbit.  Now we think she'll give birth to a bunny.

Thursday I went on a mini-day trip with the Marine Bank Mariner Club.  We went to Contigny Park and Naperville Settlement.
While at Contigny Park, folks were busy setting up for a Rock for the Troops concert with the Lt Dan Band.
Here are the pictures that I took:
This was on the wall at the visitors center as a gift from Amvets.
 The man at the front desk looked at a man among the three of us and asked if HE WAS A VETERAN and I raised my hand too.  He gave us a little pin that said "Thank you for your service from Cantigny Military Museum"

 This was inside a mock up of the inside of a ship whose hatch had a movie screen and when the movie was over, the hatch dropped and we walked right into Normandy beaches.
 This was my self timer photo.  It's the only sign that said Cantigny France but I wish it was clearer.
 Here's where we had dinner on our way home in Dwight, IL.  There was a windmill in the back.
 Some of the people eating our fried chicken dinner at
 School teacher was demonstrating teaching math to a young feller at the Napersettlement schoolhouse.
 This was taken with my self-timer on my camera from the steps of the Cantigny Mansion just before our tour time.


I got an offer from one of the ladies in my exercise group to do the Wimmer Cemetery Walk in Auburn on Sep 26.  I'll know more later.

I went to my doctor appointment at 1:15 and I'm in good health.  (BMI, BP, heart beat, et)  Afterward I went to the Old State Capitol to catch up on our History Comes Alive til closing.  After that I went to bike nite at Halls Harley Davidson and met up with some of our Legion Riders.  Of course I didn't ride my motorcycle because I had a change of clothes to do between the Old State Capitol and the biker-look.

Both Sat and Sunday I attended the Lincoln Days at Bloomington so I've been going through my reenacting stuff and organizing.  I clipped this photo for the news media site at
http://www.pantagraph.com/gallery/pantagraph/photos-lincoln-s-festival-in-bloomington/collection_22865b4e-27fe-58aa-a057-6e744d91814d.html#10

I pinned the skirt up (known as skirt lifters) for the dance.  After the dance I drove 1 1/2 hours home in my underpinnings.  I don't think I liked being in a corset over 12 hours.  Monday I washed the dress but pressing all the pleats was a big chore.






We presented a Tableau Vivante both days narrated by Laura.   The tableau is like a still photo.  I played Amelia whose husband, Sam, was leaving for war. 
On Saturday, Larry (above) stood in for this since all the soldiers were fighting at one of the other locations.  In the last act I represented the reading of his last letter. Other ladies stood in the picture for comfort.   On Sunday I recruited one of the members of the 21st Illinois and his regiment followed to watch in the audience.  Actually, they did a little heckling of their regimental sergeant but it was good experience for them.

We introduced ourselves to a lovely lady named Robin and when I introduced myself, she recognized my name from facebook's "Civilian Civil War Closet" and had friended me as a result.  The ladies drooled over Robin's starched, detailed petticoat that she had made with tucks going parallel and horizontal separated by lace.   I would never do such fine work for a petti which is normally  covered.  I asked about her lovely light sheer dress and she said it was by Deborah DeFranco.  I told her that I had one made by her too and that I wore that dress last year to this same event last year but it was more of a working dress.

Sunday I carpooled and picked up Mary to go to the event.  At least I didn't have to be alone.  I picked her up in Springfield in pouring rain but the weather map showed that it was better at our destination.

Monday I didn't have dog training but I will next week and it may be the last lesson before the TDI  test tentatively scheduled for Aug 1st. 

Then in the evening I went to a VFW meeting and when I got home, I sat on the porch and stared at the stars. An hour later, when I went to bed, it was pouring rain.  Well I hope this is all over now. 

No comments:

Blog Archive