Monday, July 6, 2015

My Week

The problem with summer is mosquito bites, gnats and chiggers. I got a wand zapper from Aldi.

Tuesday morning I took a new tour, "Abe and Mary Quite Contrary".  Mostly locations that are now parking lots.

I was really proud of myself Tuesday evening. My presentation as Rose Herrmann, during Distant Memories at the Lincoln Tomb brought a tear to the eye of one lady in my audience.   This is the script but be aware that I can edit it to keep current:
http://ivetret.blogspot.com/2015/06/distant-memories-program-at-lincoln-tomb.html


Wednesday's discussion was whether our Legion Riders should meet on July 1 or the second Wednesday.  My vote was the first Wednesday as scheduled and already on the post calendar.    Whatever, I didn't go.  

Friday I stayed home and sat the "grand" dogs.  Well, I had Hank over and went to my son's house to let Moe out.  I thought it would be too much for me and Sophie.
I was warned that Hank liked socks so I closed the spare bedroom used to store stuff including mis-matched socks.  Well, instead Hank found my reenacting gloves.  Meanwhile, the clumsy pup knocked over a plant stand with a start for a mosquito plant.


I sure hope my son's had a great time at the Cardinals game with their friends even though the Cardinals lost.

 Hank also liked licking my glass of wine.  Perhaps it was because a portion of the proceeds go to a no-kill shelter.

It looks like the celebrated Independence Day on July 3d was a Friday this year so many had the day off to compensate for a weekend holiday. 
Alan gave me a dog mat that I needed to sew.  It was tough to fix and get into my sewing machine with it's large size and padding.  The mat really needed a serger but I only have a zig-zag stitch to keep it from fraying.

In the morning I put the big flag on the back of my motorcycle and went to Mass at Oak Ridge Cemetery across from Lincoln's Tomb.  I think I lost the foot cap to my tripod stool in the soft soil at the cemetery.

After that I went to the VFW for the 4th of July celebration from noon to 3PM.  My door prize was a golf shirt with the VFW logo.  Of course it was a small that doesn't fit most members but it was perfect (after I shorten it) for me.  I got a patriotic painted star for my house in the silent auction.  My idea of "face painting" was something like a tattoo.  I asked for a bad-ass rose but I think it looks like pansies.
Actually it tickled.

In the evening I went to help with ticket sales at the Iles House.  Apparently the food sold out earlier than our stock because the weather was nice and it was also on a Saturday this year.  I liked Lady Liberty. 
The evening was so nice and the turnout so nice that food sold out fast.  Here I am with the new acquisition to the house, a  girandole.  It's a nice 1840-1860 era prism candle holder.  The main parts were cast in metal to denote historical or popular figures attached to a marble base.  Castings were sold to many companies but assembled differently by each.  The Logan family girandole is known as "Paul and Virginia" probably the most common girandole.  The design for the "Paul and Virgian" mold was from a 1787 romance novel by Bernadine de Saint-Pierre. (1737-1814)  The novel tells of star-crossed lovers of misalliances whose mothers have sought refuge in tropical French colony Isle De France (Maurtitus).  Raised as siblings, Paul and Virginia develop a deep love broken by Virginia's return to Europe.  Virginia tries to return to him but dies in a shipwreck.

This item is an ornate pickle jar with tongs that is also new to the house this past winter.  I guess there were some special healing properties in eating pickles such as vinegar.
 

I got home in time to change, eat, and walk Sophie down the street to see fireworks.  I had to see this future therapy dog dealing with people and stress of fireworks.  I liked how she looked to me for support with all the noise all around. I came home and finished a little wine that was left.  Watched some Saturday Night Live that had a Christmas special on!


Why do people say "Happy Fourth of July"? You don't say "Happy December 25th" or "Happy January First". While people around the world have July 4th, only we in the United States recognize it as the anniversary of our Independence. Why don't people recognize the holiday - Independence Day - rather than the date on which it's observed?

Monday I shipped a box to a lucky lady in the military.  Funny think is that her description says "airman" but location was "navy".   It can happen.

I just got back from my 4th session of dog training with Sophie.  We have much improved but now we need to focus on recall and not licking.  Sophie has an appointment with Bubbles of Fun on July 31st so she'll be pretty for her exam day.  She stresses me.

No comments:

Blog Archive