Tuesday, October 7, 2014

My Week

I had my car washed with all the bells and whistles and ready for the rain on Thursday.  Tuesday morning a pretty good fog going on as I walked the dogs.  Yes, dogs.  I am dog sitting for Trinket.

I got to finish the newspapers that I picked up from the recycle bin and pull the comics and puzzles for the soldiers boxes.  Sean also gave me the military times so I need to separate those into boxes.  I have my end of month Soldiers Angels report to submit.
Tuesday evening I went to an event at the Lincoln museum for a presentation on Mary Todd Lincoln and 19th century spiritualism.  

I spent a lot of money at the sutler in Danville.  I got a hair net, cage hoop, brown bonnet to go with my dress, petticoat, waist clip for the fan, and a scissors holder.   $256 but these items was very reasonable compared to those other places including ebay.  I mean really, a $65 bonnet!  Cheapest on ebay is $85 and poor.   A $35 petticoat that's over $55 on ebay.  Although I have to hem it up be pleats in the middle.  I need to hem that petticoat (among a lot of other projects but I have white thread on the sewing machine).  Not to mention, I had a dream that 2 "Stitch Nazis" came in the middle of a night to measure one of my pleats.  I swore I used a ruler but they said I measured the wrong way.  Then I woke up and saw the silliness.

I'm dog sitting Trinket, a sheltie, for a few weeks.  I had t teach her how to use the doggie door flap.  She had a nice run with Moe (Staffordshire terrier) on Sunday when my son brought his dog over.

Village utilities will be tearing up my lawn to fix the street light that's been out over a week.  I have little flags marking utilities on my lawn.  When a man asked to put a sensor like clamp on my faucet, I moved the recycle bin and found a baby bunny.  Normally I see toads.


Wednesday I rode Wheezer to Camp Butler for the Unaccompanied Burial Ceremony.  I found a new route there on Ridgley Road to avoid traffic.  


I know one of the 11 being honored at the unaccompanied burial on Wed. Bill Sherer who worked at the Old State Capitol is one of the names on the list. 

or here too:

Wednesday evening I went to our Legion Riders meeting and we discussed the results from hog roast benefit for honor flight and the upcoming German Dinner.  Since I was hot and perspiring, I had left my windows down overnight and did it pour rain.  Now I'm drying my car out before then next round of pouring comes.  So God wanted me to clean my carpets in my car.  A friend on Facebook warned rain is on the way. I had to do a few errands like dropping food off at the Food Pantry and mail a box to my adopted soldier.  While at the post office, I bumped into Dan who knew about this and he's not even on Facebook. I wondered if my back side looked wet from driving to the post office

I made some great pasta fazul.  I used everything I got on my last trip to County Market:  onion, can of navy beans (it was a marked down dented can), orzo wheat pasta, onion, and Ekridge smoked sausage with the Penny Pincher coupon.  It was very satisfying.

Saturday I woke to a cold house of 60 degrees and didn't want to get out of bed.  I went to a few garage sales.  Nothing much to bring home.  In the afternoon I helped with the joint Legion Riders/axillary German Dinner.  I made a publicity commercial with Bozo the Great Dane who has a hurt leg.


I was exhausted waiting on tables.  We had such good attendance that we were out of rouladden early. I was waiting to cut my hair so I could braid it for my German dress.

Sunday I fixed jambalaya, buttered carrots and buttered eggplant.  I'm still getting odds n ends from the garden.  Then I went to Big Lots for their 20% off sale.  I got my dog food and stuff from my soldiers box.

I watched a video online of the same presentation on Women in the Civil War that I saw in Boscobel's Civil War Reenactment by Shelby Harriel.  I was impressed with her presentation in a Confederate uniform.

Above impression scanned from an article by Tricia Hill appearing in the Boscobel Dial from 8/14/14.  Here is part 1 of her presentations and slide show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VcWQuEtsUg
She has a facebook page called "Forbidden, Hidden and Forgotten" here:
https://www.facebook.com/ForbiddenHiddenForgotten

I'm also watching a PBS special that was recommended by someone from our Soldiers Aid Society based on a book called This Republic of Suffering: Death and the Civil War by Drew Gilpin Faust.  I found it online here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/death/player/
 
Monday I went to a PGR mission for Larry Joe White, 67 US Army Vietnam Veteran Greenfield, IL.  There was a lunch reception at the Baptist Church.  Then I came back to Springfield and had my tires air checked because I had a light come on for tire inflation.  Then I got my hair cut at Great Clips for Wigs for Kids. Great clips no longer partners with Locks of Love. Instead they partner with wigs for kids because they don't charge. Drawback is the min length is 12" instead of 10.  I see that they are more restrictive and won't take gray hair. 



I see by their website that I may include a generic letter to the recipient of my wig.

 My dear child,

I understand you are going through a difficult time.  Please accept my hair that I had cut just for you.

I refer to this as my reenacting hair as it was long enough to style for my Civil War woman's impression.  I chose this time for the end of season (mostly ended).  Hence I'll be wearing a bonnet to hide my short hair.

My first coming out with short hair was at our American Legion meeting.  Men generally prefer women to have long hair and I could see it in their reaction.  Others appreciated the donation of my hair for you and knew it will help you temporarily overcome the stares you may be receiving at this time.


May God Bless you,
In the evening I went to an American Legion meeting.  I got a recruiter pin for sponsoring a new member.  I didn't know I'd get a pin. 

Well, it's that time of the year to take the summer quilt off the bed and put the big comforter on the bed. 

No comments:

Blog Archive