Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Week

Our Springfield area is honored again to have another Illinois Dept of Veterans Affairs Veteran of the Month, Terry Vance. His ceremony is Jan 31st.

Tuesday night I got gas since the price was going up and then stopped at the grocers to get a pre-paid card for my son. I also stopped by the Goodwill store to see if a pewter cross necklace was still there that I had resisted getting on Saturday when I had looked around after making my donations. It was still there. While in the checkout line, a lady ahead of me was purchasing the ottoman that I had donated on Saturday for $8.

Wednesday I went to the funeral of a coworker, Andy. He was a member of our American Legion Riders and had riden a CanAm. A mission by the Patriot Guard Riders was provided. 5 motorcycles showed up for that chilly morning ride. During the funeral, I sat in the back for the funeral with Michael and Brian. Brian bawled during the ceremony. They must have been close.



I met a young reservist in a PGR flag line for Andy. He was on leave from Afghanistan. I mentioned that I was writing to a soldier in Afghanistan. He said he was stationed up in the mountains near Baghram. He received a flag that I had signed last August at the Illinois Gathering of the Guard.



That evening, we had an Amvets meeting. We sang happy birthday to my son but insisted that his gift not be opened at the meeting.


Thursday morning we had snow. Leaving my cul-de-sac, I told the neighbor girl to wear a hat and zip up her coat. Then I noticed that there was traffic ahead at the stop sign leading to RT 4 and knew I should take an alternate route. Problem is there was a back up on Iron Bridge Rd as well because of a car in a tree. I took this picture from my car window as I went by. There were other cars on the side of the road as well.
Friday my sons and I celebrated a birthday by going out to eat at Alexander’s Steakhouse right after work because it was on this side of town. We save a few bucks by grilling our own on their open pit. I was so full. Then we went to a movie which I was unprepared for and had a coupon for $5 off the theater ticket so I had to run home and get it. We saw the new Sherlock Holmes movie.
I bought a garment bag at a thrift store for under $10 to keep some of my historic costumes in. I thought I could use it as a pattern to make one for my other dresses too since these plastic garment bags rip. So I looked on ebay to see what I had.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=vera+bradley+garment+bag

Mine has tan with flower and strawberry print on quilted material. I couldn't find a brand name but a label that it is cotton and made in China. I think I scored a deal on this

I went to a "WTHeck Were They Thinking After Christmas Gift Exchange" at the Red Lobster. We had a post Christmas gift exchange. I think I came out ahead and brought home some healthy dog treats.


The Catholic War Veterans had a Memorial Mass at the Cathedral on Sunday. Afterward I went to my own church’s pancake breakfast. The proceeds went to the food pantry. I was able to bring home some of the leftover sausage from the breakfast and Alan put it in lasagna. Yum.

I was off for Martin Luther King day and the weather was so nice. So nice that I brought a log in for the fireplace but did not go back to close the door. I forgot about it until I felt the draft. I also noticed a large fly in the house to swat in the Middle of January. The warm weather was good for walking the dogs and putting some things in the garage. While walking the dogs, I saw a motorcyclist coming home. I chatted it up and he had a good ride but pointed to the sky with a front coming through and said I missed the window of opportunity. I explained that my garage faces north and always has a patch of snow to melt longer. I wouldn’t want to roll the bike over that. I swept the rest of the snow and slush off the sidewalk as best that I could. I had the car washed before the next big weather pattern strikes this week.


I went to the VFW Monday night. I had reminded Joan to come since she normally has a conflict on the meeting night. I keep telling them at the post that I’m not the only female member of the post but there are other ladies in our Womens Overseas Service League that are members. Post commander said I was missed last month because they needed a woman’s advice on post décor issues. That’s when I was practicing for the First Night Ball. So they brought up remodeling of the rest rooms. They want to make them more handicap accessible. Well then they wanted to know if taller or shorter stools in the ladies room would be better. Joan said taller and I said shorter. Ha! So much for that.

I learned that one of our Honor Flight veterans has passed away. RIP Gene Owens of Le Roy, IL. Here is his obit:

http://www.pantagraph.com/news/local/obituaries/gene-owens/article_8e93878a-3f27-11e1-971e-001871e3ce6c.html

I got this dress on eBay and await it's arrival. I hope to wear it to the Grierson Ball. Alan had accused my black and red dress as the "Queen of Hearts". Yesterday, the windscreen for my little motorcycle arrived from China. Both of these had no additional shipping charges.

I started a 6 week session of ballroom dance with Gene on Tuesday evenings. I discovered that all that drill and marching can mess up us military gals. We’ve been taught to start with our left foot. In dancing the men start off with their left foot and women mirror this with a right foot start. No wonder I’m such a klutz. I had been a drill leader as an instructor for NCO leadership school and it's unlearning for me.














No comments:

Blog Archive