Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My Week

I had free exercise classes between the holidays. I tried to pay up for the next session last Friday but was turned away because the gal at the desk was clueless. Went back on Tuesday and got it all taken care of. I went to the First Night Civil War Ball at the Old State Capitol. My son called me the Queen of Hearts in sarcasm so now I’d like a new ball dress. The ball was fun, great exercise, and educational. I was proud to be a part of this. Also I was glad that as a volunteer tour guide at the Old State Capitol, I was able to help some of the guest dancers in small ways such as the sound system. There are more photos at:http://www.dancingdates.com/ When Mrs Lincoln stepped away, I caught a photo with Abe. The fireworks were cancelled because of high winds. I gave away 2 pair of rubber skids for walking on ice thru freecycle last week. I still have a pr for myself. I’ve been cleaning closets. I had no idea how many unmatched socks that I have and I keep wearing socks with holes because those are not shoved in the back. I got a few gifts that you'll say to yourself "It's the thought that counts"I think I'll give away my purple parka. After all, when Alan and I went to Walmart, I asked him on the way out if he saw any of the "people of walmart". He looked at me and said yes. He pointed out that I had a purple coat on with green jeans and a white knit cap New Years morning was the reader at church. The first reader did not show so I did both readings. Later I learned that she had emailed me about 40 minutes before Mass that she was ill. Then when I got to work on Tuesday, she had left a message on my work number that she couldn’t make it. New Years day was so windy that the landscape bricks are blowin' away. I was listening to the radio about City of Springfield's dilemma regarding health insurance for the newly approved civil unions. Then it came to mind that you don't have to be gay to be in a civil union necessarily. Reminded me of the TV show "Three's Company" where Jack, played by John Ritter, was a straight guy pretending to be gay in order to share an apartment with 2 unmarried women. Plot revolved around the charade for the convenience. Monday night I went to the American Legion meeting. We had ham and beans and cornbread. A motorcycle club asked for money for postage for sending boxes of goodies to Afghanistan and read 2 letters of thanks from past boxes. There was a motion made to give more postage money to the motorcycle club. I asked why we (as the Legion) were not doing something like this. I was told that the legion along with the VFW were included in the letters as senders of the boxes. Another vouched for how refreshing it was to receive these boxes from home. I think they misheard my question that I was against sending boxes but I will never be against someone doing the right thing and I vote in favor of the funding. I don’t deny the cause but I’m sure those thank you letters were addressed to the motorcycle club and not the AL or VFW who had a hand in the sending of those boxes. I know that when I was in the military that I remembered kindness. These recipients could be future members of the post with the visibility. The same meeting discussed the shortcomings in our membership. The post reaches in the wrong direction for visibility. I made some oatmeal cookies with rough cut oats and instead of raisins I used crasins. I used low calorie sugar too. My son’s flat screen TV will no longer turn on. When he moved in with me, there was a small TV in the cabinet which he replaced with his TV. I moved that small TV and its cable box to his bed room which he had not slept in since I bought him 2 dressers and a new mattress for the guest bed. He had been sleeping on the couch near his game, Knights of Camelot so he could defend his castle. He slept there last night. My hair is getting long and tangled. It will be cut for ‘Locks of Love’ during Lent. I have an invite to a surprise birthday party for Anita Bedell on Friday. Her husband is good at a straight face but told me he was having a rough time keeping it from her. Dan and Anita were so kind to me when I was laid up by bringing meals and walking my dog.I went to a PGR mission on Dec 29th for a young Iraq war veteran that died in an auto accident. I didn’t take time off but just my lunch hour to honor him in the flag line at Camp Butler National cemetery.


No comments:

Blog Archive