Sunday, April 3, 2022

My Week

 Monday evening I went to our Bible study.  I have difficulty jumping around verse to verse but that doesn't mean I don't learn anything.  We learned about the series of covenants between God and man and the final covenant on the cross.   Wives of early kings were queen and when the king's heir became king, she was above him as queen mother.  Mary was queen mother and also the ark of the covenant.  We have evolved from brick and mortar temples to spiritual temples.  That takes a lot of faith.

Tuesday morning I was on standby for a call to return Diann home after her cataract surgery. She had a  ride there early by another that was convenient at like 5:30AM so that I could sleep in normally. I wasn't sure when I'd get the call to pick her up so I went to my exercise core class and  got the call just as we finished class.  She does use a walker and was wondering how she can feed her cat so I loaned my  aka "reachabowl" (may be out of business)  aka “no bend bowl” that I've been using since my back surgery. She and her husband were very active with our American Legion.  She lost her husband 2 years ago and I didn't know that she had moved from the rural 5 acres to a house nearer to me.  A wise decision for a widow using a walker.

At 2PM there was a Vietnam Veterans Commemoration Ceremony at Camp Butler.  

Peggy got some extra flowers for my husband's grave.

Peggy and myself before the ceremony

 
With DAR presence 
The event at Camp Butler was a national event.  Then the state had a similar event in Lincoln, IL in the evening indoors. 

Wednesday I went to a program about Susan Lawrence Dana.  Susan Lawrence Dana, a Springfield socialite and heiress, used her platform to promote progressive social change, and she regularly advocated for the rights of women and African Americans. 



Katie Brethorst discusses Dana’s advocacy in honor of Women’s History Month as part of her thesis.
In the evening I went to the Interveterans Council of Sangamon County for which my role is chaplain.

Thursday got busy.  Since I don't have an exercise class on Thursdays, I usually go to 8:30 Mass.  Then I went to rally practice at the club.  I'm glad I got there early and had the floor nearly to myself.   After three runs through.  Shari doesn't often pass out compliments but she liked the way Amber backs up 3 paces.  I just need to make my steps shorter and less exaggerated. Shari wanted to discuss a particular sign at the end where  Amber has to do "sit stay" while I would normally get the leash.  She stayed a good time while we discussed a sign.   I was amazed.  Others arrived and it started to get crowded taking turns so I got to leave then.  

That evening I went to a tea party meeting and Peggy Hubbard was the guest speaker.  The email didn't list the time so I assumed 7 but it really started at 6:30.

Friday I did go to exercise but right after I went downtown to do a "ride along" student bus tour group with Garrett Moffet.  He showed Stephanie and myself how to be a local guide for his tour agency as the school buses start  rolling in between March and May.  I must say he kinda sounded desperate.  I need to get back into site interpretation but don't want to do it for a state site until the mask mandate is lifted.   Guests do not have to so why should a volunteer?  Besides, it pays.  Not that I need the money or anything but I may try this for the lack of masking and swing of things.  I was most  surprised at the Old State Capitol where some of the rooms have converted from an example of how the room looked when Lincoln graced the hallways to turned more into a self guided museum.

The taxidermy dog at the Illinois State Military Museum

touchable objects at the Lincoln Home

I got back in time to walk the dogs and head over to the legion to help with the fish fry.  I've been keeping the drinks of coffee tea and water full.  After that I drive by the Capitol Canine Training Club where I'd normally be on Friday evenings practicing.  A few were still there and someone shared homemade banana bread.  Just what I needed after snacking on fish.

Saturday morning I went to yoga at 8 and then the Quincy Advisor Council meeting virtually at 10.  That meeting lasted hour and 15.  I represent the Women's Overseas Service League.  I also see that Tim from the Catholic War Veterans was on the meeting.   Toward the end of the meeting they called out for him to stay online to get his info.  He cut out early but I told the staff that I had it and could relay that information.  He cheated out early and I'll pick on him at the meeting.  I was able to head over to the DAR meeting and caught the tail end of that meeting because that meeting is even longer the the advisory council.  I caught the presentation of Mary Lincoln and her sister Elizabeth Edwards.  After that, the regent gave me a certificate that I told her I may be able to show up late for.


After that we had  lunch at the Chatham Cafe.  Later I went to the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Museum for a special
sensory-friendly event in the "Abe for All" initiative.  It was an attempt at dimming lights and sound for those with issues.  Well, I'm hearing impaired and I wanted to know.  I didn't see much of that goal achieved. If so what little difference there was, it was subtle and seemed more geared toward children with discussion stations and some toys.  In fact, kids talking are really background noise that drown out speech.  I only saw one family signing and one service dog.  Hearing was a problem when the volunteers tried to talk to me through their masks.  I never realized how much I read lips to assist to fill in words.  I think many were there because it was a free admission event.  Lot of free loaders but how do you ask someone if they are hearing impaired? The funny part of the evening was the guard asking to check my purse.  I didn't bring one and opened my coat to show keys and hanky.

sensory can also mean the feel and touch of objects like wool and silk on uniforms

ALPLM had a Ukraine craft table for the kids to make flowers during the sensory event.

Sunday morning I was the reader at Mass.  Just before going to church, my smoke detector went off and I had to put out a log that rolled out of the fireplace.

As I waited for Mass to begin, another parishoner was welcomed back from a snowbird trip to Arizona.  He mentioned that they had a Father Joe to our pastor also Father Joe.  I exclaimed that "they're everywhere", even when I go to Eureka, MO.  Then my pastor asked if he was Joe Kempf whom he had gone to the seminary with.   Small world I'd say.  I fixed Campbell's garlic chicken.  While he was waiting for his laundry, we hopped on over to

Scoop Du Jour

for a sundae.  That was nice and spontaneous.  The weather was nice for a change.  The dogs were tired.   

Now everybody must be prepared for inflation in  the coming year.  Many do not remember the days that my mother washed and reused aluminum foil and plastic bags.  Young folks today will goe "Eww" to that.

No comments:

Blog Archive