Monday, August 16, 2021

My Week

 Heavy rain Monday morning so we are in for a humid week.  I haven't had luck growing summer squash, melons or cucumbers in my rock garden but I have a pretty good cantaloupe on the side of my garage.  I finally got my certificates for Amber's Tea Cup tiltle on Monday.  I was beginning to doubt the achievement.




Tuesday I went to Joliet for a correction clinic on dogs in New Lenox.  I carpooled with Rose Hutches.  The AKC Judge in the photo was Diane Trost.  She was doing unofficial trials with help for correction.  It was 15 minutes of training for $10.  I told her that after 3 years of training, I was told in June by at least 2 others that I was to be commended for getting a terrier this far.  Diane said "look around at trials.  Do you see many terriers?"  That made me think a lot.  I haven't seen any.  I've been surprised by some that did trial that I wouldn't have expected but never thought of terriers because they are so active and need an outlet.  Well, Rose Hutches said she has seen terriers do it in St Louis.




Rose took these photos and I think I look down too much showing a lack of confidence.

Tuesday evening I went to the Lincoln Tomb for the flag lowering ceremony.  Not too many showed up but there was a convention of the Marine Corps League in town.

I'm wearing the hoop that I painstakingly covered each wire with twill trim during this past winter. I'm still unsatisfied with it's shape and the fact that the petticoat sinks between the rings exposing the underpinnings.

Here's the proud photo of the hoop after I hand sewed twill around the wires.  Looks good until I try to put it under a dress and petticoat where the fabric gets sucked in.  Not enough rings to lift a petticoat and skirt.

I may as well pay out for a good hoop at http://www.woodedhamlet.com/costume_accessories/CagedCrino.htm
Wednesday I went to Mechanicsburg for agility practice.  We did a virtual trial on "novice jumpers".  We did well consistently on 2 videos so it should pass when sent to a judge.  I realized when I got home that we had 2 legs on jumpers so that should be a title.

Wednesday afternoon I went to the nursing home and Amber and I did our skit: Amber's Christmas Story.  This was a reschedule skit originally scheduled in July.  I had to reschedule Santa to read the poem also. Apparently he didn't mark it on the calendar as a "firm" appointment.  The activity director read the poem. It went well anyway. 

In the evening we had an AMVETS meeting and only 3 people showed up.  It's time to close this post before we dwindle away and our treasury can go toward better use.

Thursday I went to the dog club for practice.  I started to join the group practicing rally and was told to put a mask on.  Instead, I left.  I'm tired of inconsistent masking policy. I was invited the day before and masking was not mentioned. So I am busy cleaning  my house and downsizing so it won't be so messy when I die of COVID.  I  canceled my volunteering at the Abraham Lincoln Museum until the mask mandate is lifted.  In the evening we had a meeting of the Catholic War Veterans.  I brought the items for the table at the fair to let veterans know about CWV.   

Friday afternoon I went to a Mariner (bank's name) Travel Show.  I had planned to go to coastal Maine this August which was canceled and the trip for next year was outlined.  I doubt that I'll be able to go out of country again.

Saturday I went to Yoga class.  New instructor today.  I did a bit of work in the garden since it was pleasant and watched the AKC Premier agility online.  My local dog training club is the host sponsor for the event that took place at the state fair.

Sunday was veterans day at the state fair. I carpooled with Pat Schad since I had a parking pass inside the gate.  I normally man a table in the "Veterans Expo" building but when Dept of Veterans Affairs said it was a masked building, I backed out.  Some other members of the Catholic War veterans manned our table.  

 

Dale and Chuck with our CWV table

 

Dale and Chuck with the CWV table
Dan selling our cookbooks


We had a little time to kill before the parade so I went to Ethnic Village section.  There was Larry and Shirley Hackman, from our Civil War dance group, dancing to the music of
Dennis Stroughmatt et L’Esprit Creole in the gazebo. I remember their music from the Old Courthouse in St Louis. This is not an uncommon occurrence for the Hackmans. Shirley danced but has been riding a motorized chair for the the longer haul. So I did one dance with Larry and during the dance, I got tapped out by another lady. I was not hurt but pleased to share this moment with Larry to another. I know Larry didn't mind either. Dancing is the spirit that is happiness.
 
I walked and waved at the crowd in front of our Catholic War Veterans truck with flags on the back during the Illinois State Fair Veterans parade. 

Of course I had to take a picture of my VFW 755 comrades that walked right behind us. 



After the parade, I went back to Ethnic Village to watch the Springfield International Folk Dancers to the theme of Israeli dance. Note the planter on the bottom left of this picture. I saw a humming bird frequent the purple flowers there. 

I sold my walker that I used about 2 weeks when I had my surgery over 4 years ago.  It's a good quality walker  and just taking up space.  I tried to post it on FB marketplace but the post got censured 4 times as medical equipment. I'd seen another out there tho. I used Nextdoor app to sell instead.  I need to sell Mad magazines from the 1990s next.

RANT

Ya know, I still keep rolling over in my head about Nancy Pelosi saying she is Catholic.  In a way, I can see her try to align pro-abortion with the democrat party view but to try to justify it as if she is a spokesperson for the church and to follow her with it to the polls  so is crazy.  It’s like she thinks she’s the pope and approves abortion as health care.  Then the icing of the cake was the article about “real presence”.   Like someone “bought into it" belief.  It takes faith  to  believe this  way.  It’s like putting catholic on her resume like a college education with a fake diploma.

No comments:

Blog Archive