Monday, November 16, 2020

My Week

Looks like we have entered the Fall Covid spike.  I have been minimizing my time away from home and returned to remote exercise class at home.  

Last Monday evening at 6PM, I went to a VFW meeting.  Our VFW post adjutant got COVID and it was bad enough to be admitted to the hospital. The respiratory place gave him meds but that just masked the problem. They took his temp at hospital it was 102.9 if that tells you he was in bad shape.  By the end of this week, he had shown improvement. 

Monday was my 48th anniversary for going to basic training at Lackland AFB.  I received this veterans day card in the mail.

Later in the evening I went to week 3 of Amber's "Intro to Odors" class.   Things pumped up a little just as I was getting bored tossing treats in a shoe box.  This time there was just all 3 scents in a plastic box with top holes and a treat on top the box.  After she indicated the correct box with the treat, she was rewarded with a few more treats.  The next round there was no treat on top the box.  She sniffed all the boxes and at the "hot box", I got stared at.  That was the cue she found the scented box.   I wish she was a bit more clearer though.  Another dog in class was more distinct about pointing at the right box.  Amber's stare just said, "where's the treat?" If I didn't answer fast enough, she'd go off sniffing again.

On Veterans Day I stood color guard in the Chatham Square.  There was no ceremony.  We were socially distanced around the memorial for 1/2 hour.  

 

This American Legion mask is the worst mask I own.  It's floppy and I had to remake it to fit.  I think I shall never wear it again.  It was inexpensive so that should say a lot.  Not even the right fabric to breathe.


 
 
I was in perfect view of the flag in this circle.  My hands did get cold but the rest of me was nice and warm in my new fleece lined cargo pants.  My glasses did fog from the mask.
Afterward I got my voucher for a free meal at Texas Roadhouse for veterans day.  I also got vouchers at Chic-fil-a.  

Wednesday's agility class (on Veterans Day) was canceled.  I wasn't going to go anyway because of a scheduled AMVETS meeting.  I later learned via Facebook that Amvets discouraged physical meetings and subsequently our meeting was canceled.   Instead I signed up for a webinar on Civil War nurses.

I've been experimenting with the 3-d face masks.  They are sometimes called octagon masks.  The first one I made was too big.  Could have been the metric conversion.  The blue ones I made were from the pattern in the link.

Then I discovered this 3D mask pattern with a filter pocket that I like a little better.

  These bright brightly colored ones have a pocket like the one in the sample video from a single cut of fabric 8 by 17".  This style is a little better on glasses not fogging up so much.


Title certificates came in the mail for Amber's first agility trial.  These were through CPE last month.   Each of these required 2 successful runs.



 I always thought AKC "Beginner Novice" and "Novice" were confusing.

The two titles are like beginner-beginner and novice.   I just realized that Amber did not get her AKC "Beginner Novice" title in October as I previously thought and got ribbons. I entered regular "novice" not "beginner novice".  Now I have 2 legs (of 3 required) in Beginner Novice and now I have 1 leg in the "Novice".   Crap! Notice obedience in the AKC report below. I should not have been in CD (Companion Dog) level.  I didn't know CD was another initial for Novice. Upon closer look at my entry form, it was my screw up. 

BN- Beginner Novice--first title earned in obedience (the one with sit for exam and all on lead except recall done 20 ft away )

CD- companion dog --second title (on lead heeling, off lead heeling and stand for exam )

CDX-- companion dog excellent-- (also called open, jumps signals etc )

UD-- utility dog-- (off lead hand signals for heeling, jumps etc )

There has been a lot of wind this week and I end this with few twigs to pick up.  I guess the frequency of high winds have whittled down all the loose limbs and branches so the pick up is less and less.  The neighborhood had taken down the "United for Biden" signs and Christmas decorations up.  I only put up my Christmas wreath since it was already out because of Amber's Christmas Story and too late to put away.

I've watched "The Queen's Gambit" series.  It's pretty interesting about an orphan girl that learned chess from the janitor, was adopted, and won her lot by championship winnings.
 





No comments:

Blog Archive