Sunday, December 10, 2017

My Week


The weather had changed this week and the cold finally came. Shiver! I've been slowly getting ready for St Nick.  The glue that kept his miter on needed redone and the chain on the incense burner was off.  Not sure where it was originally so I guessed.
 The stockings were hung by the chimney with care.  I even found a stocking for a dog at the Dollar Tree.
Monday night I went to an executive board meeting at the VFW.  I rarely make this meeting because of the Legion meeting on the same night.  Legion didn't have a meeting for December because of the post Christmas party so I was free to go.  I gave the commander and quartermaster a card and a gift for all they do.

Wednesday I had my pre-op interview for an upcoming colonoscopy on Dec 21.  Colonoscopy prep is fearsome.  More so since I have an afternoon appointment and have to resist my ravenous apatite. 

It sure was nice to hear the governor read the proclamation declaring the day as Pearl Harbor Day in the State of Illinois. God Bless the Temple family.
 Line up of the speakers.

Here's the newspaper article on the event:
http://www.sj-r.com/news/20171207/pearl-harbor-veterans-remembered-during-annual-lake-springfield-ceremony
Well they had a cameo of my head on the news. Of all the heads why mine?
http://foxillinois.com/news/local/springfield-remembers-the-lives-lost-during-the-attack-on-pearl-harbor


Sophie has been getting a lot of attention this week.  Thursday she went to the "Paw Wash" and had a visit in the afternoon.  On the road to the Paw Wash, I noticed that the scarecrow figure had been dressed for the holidays
   
Friday she had her veterinarian annual check up.  The waiting room looked like a "little white dog" day for scheduling...until we left and the trend was broken by having a brown and white pitti in the wait area.  Sophie peed in the waiting room after 3 walks. Why? Because she wanted to show her scent off!!!  There's a bit of paperwork that needs submitted to Therapy Dog Int and I asked the assistant to fax it.  I had a picture taken with Dr Boyce.  He showed me a picture of his daughter and grand daughter.  He also had the privilege of vetting a sloth so he showed me pictures and video on his cell. That picture was interesting.  He said she was friendly.
Then afterward I went to the Dept of Public Health to get Sophie's dog license.  They had just put a sign on the door the day before saying "no pets".  Sophie and I got stopped by the door by the officer so they called the clerk to the front desk for the license.
In the afternoon I got received a FedEx case of wine.  My son probably didn't read the fine print on my birthday gift of wine that it was a subscription service.  He fixed that.
 In the evening I went to Mass for the Holy Day.
 Since the park was near to church and the Lights in the Park were open, I did my drive through.  Funny thing.... friends were posting on Facebook that they went to the Lights in the Park too.  I should have hitched with someone since the recommended donation was $5 per carload and I went alone.

Saturday I helped out with our Historic Christmas at the Elijah Iles House.  This is an artificial horse. The wind blew it over just before this photo hence being held at the bit. Later it was moved further back to the side of the house away from the wind.
 
The shrubbery left little stickies on my wool cape.
Afterward I went to the 1850s caroling at the First Presbyterian Church. Here is Troy from the State Historic Sites, along with Mary and Abraham Lincoln at the service.
  
Best part is the Mary Lincoln white cake with jam afterward.  My friend Mary D and I getting our slice of cake and punch.

Sunday I fixed scalloped potatoes and ham for lunch.  I haven't made that in a long time.
Next week  ~ Christmas parties for Womens Overseas Service League, AMVETS and Catholic War Veterans.  Hope I'm not missing anything.  Wishing you all a Merry Christmas.


No comments:

Blog Archive