Monday, June 8, 2015

My Week

Tuesday morning we tossed medicine balls and giggled a giant rope around in exercise class.

I delivered letters for mail call for the next honor flight and mailed out two boxes to my soldiers.  I then showered and dressed for the first of our weekly Lincoln Tomb retreat ceremonies.  I arrived early so I could see how the first person presentation would be when I be reenacting in "Distant Memories" but ended up being the presenter when no one else did.  All I had to go on was a recording that I too 2 years ago when Martha presented it.  I even got a compliment that I must have done it many times before.  Ha...Pam had come down to let me know that my time was up and she heard it too and backed me up that it was a first.  Well, it wasn't all first person.  I had a number of foreigners that spoke little English or not very well so I had to speak simply with them and I appreciated their international interest in Lincoln history.  Here is the schedule:
 
Rose Connolly                          Martha Plog
June 2, 16, 30                           June 9, 23
July 14, 28                                 July 7, 21
August 11, 25                           August 4, 18
 
When I got home from the ceremony at Lincoln's Tomb, I took Sophie for a walk.  It was dusk and getting dark when I saw two balloons float across the sky.  I wasn't the only one that saw them.  As I walked further, I met up with some young people and they said they saw them too and that they were lanterns.
Yep, that's what I saw alright.  Then the light went out.  When I got home I needed a glass of wine.  I must be loosing my mind because I poured it in a coffee cup instead of a wine glass.

Thursday I had an appointment to get my brakes checked.  I noticed that my brakes were a bit "grabby" but really noticed the smooth braking I had with the rental car a few weeks ago.  I really didn't think it was my brakes since front and back were done in 2014 according to my records.  So, after exercise I went back to Rugless Auto.  I ended up with new rotters.  Wow, braking was so smooth that I wanted to stop every 10 yards on Route 4.  Ha!  Really?  That would sure piss people off.

Friday we had a little snack time after exercise class and presentation of an advance release of the new "To Kill a Mocking Bird" to Marci who is leaving.
I then went to the Old State Capitol and it happened to be citizenship day.
Saturday morning I got up early and left for Pittsfield, IL.  It's about an hour away.  I was prepared for a presentation on the Soldiers Aid Society at 11:30, between the Civil War Fashion Show and the briefing on the Ironclad.  Here is a picture of the ironclad and owners right before launch in the lake.
I believe their names are Don and Francene.
There is a video from the news here:
http://www.wgem.com/story/29260930/2015/06/07/civil-war-re-enactment-keeps-history-in-the-tri-states

Well I got pinched out and plan B was to give my presentation at 1PM just before the 2PM battle.   Well the band went overtime so I was to give my presentation after the battle but before the generals.  That went OK.   I was going to stay for the meal for the reenactors but when I asked the caterers how much longer before dinner begins, he said a half hour.  I decided to put that 1/2 hour toward my drive home.  Afterall, my stays from my corset were poking me. The weather was good and dry unlike past years.  My car got dusty.
Saturday evening I fell asleep on my couch and woke to go to bed with a cramp in my adductor muscle. I put on some muscle rub and moved around a little.  I've had cramps in my calf but never there before.

Sunday we had a welcome for our new pastor.  I then went to pick up groceries and fixed dinner for my son and myself. I also cut grass before the rain.

In the evening I had dinner with friends of our historic sites at Omars.

Monday morning I had my oil changed since my warning came on while returning from Pittsfield. They said I needed a new air filter (which they always do) and did not have mine in stock but they said if I got one that they would put it in for free.  Some of the parts stores do that too.  At least that way I think I can pick up a quality item.

Well I've seen fireflies but no June bugs so far.  When I do they sure will hit me.





No comments:

Blog Archive