Tuesday, June 16, 2015

My Week

Oh my this humidity is  a drag.  I was going to go through my summer clothes but Sophie blocked that temporarily. 

Monday I went to exercise.  There is a short lady in my exercise class also named Rose.  Her dog's (Lhasa Apso) is also named Sophie.  I noticed my Nissan had a warning to "check engine soon".  Afterward exercise, I took it to Rugless and he hooked it up to the computer and turns out that my gas cap was not secured causing the catalytic converter to warn me after a little chance Monday evening when I got gas I didn't tighten the cap enough.  In the evening I went to Metamora for dance practice.  Our group's leader runs the Metamora courthouse said that the state may close the historic site July 1st.
Tuesday I sent a package to a lady soldier.  I'm up to date on my soldiers boxes till July.

Tuesday evening I went to the Lincoln Tomb for the flag lowering ceremony.  There I met up with cousin Ron Duskey.  I was inside the tomb greeting visitors.  Once I was relieved,  I went to the receiving vault at the bottom of the hill to watch Martha's performance of "Distant Memories" because I'll be doing the program the following week. 

Wednesday I met up with a few of our Legion riders to solicit some sponsorship for a trailer.  In the evening, I went to our AMVETS meeting in the break area of County Market and afterward, Sean and I had dinner with cousin Ron Duskey at the Creek Pub next door.

Thursday was busy.  I went to the opening day of our 68th Annual Chatham American Legion Homecoming Festival.  They had plenty of volunteers so I wasn't needed.  Then I went to a meeting of the Catholic War Veterans at 7PM.  The meeting was short so I took Sophie to the Chatham American Legion to socialize and see how she reacts to the band.  She did real well.  Only exception is that she barked at a big man sitting on the curb with his cell phone.  I guess it was unnatural.  Then Friday morning on our walk, she barked at Mylar balloons in someone's trash can that were floating in the breeze.

Good news: I got an electric snow blower for $25 at a garage sale.  The lady was having a snow sale because she was moving to California.  She also had a Yamaha 250 Vstar (not for sale)  in her garage similar to my vintage version.
I thought my microwave quit but seemed to work after I replaced the extension cord.
Friday afternoon I went to the Old State Capitol. Stephanie was giving out wooden nickles and cards to the kids.   One of the parents came back and told us that when she asked her daughter who gave her the token she said "the princess gave it to me".  Henceforth she'll be known as Princess Stephanie.

Saturday was a long day at the old State Capitol.  It started off with a retreat ceremony and here are a few guests.
Since the site that I volunteer for happens to host the event I felt a certain responsibility to make our out-of-town guests feel welcome.  I ensured a table was available for the Metamora Dancers when they arrived so that the music player had a place. I brought a shawl for a table cloth and had a sign for the times of the dance.
I danced with the Springfield International Folk  Dancers in the evening.  News video for the Medical Encampment: http://www.wics.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_23142.shtml
I added a video of the New Waltz Quadrille to YouTube.   I'm not in this video.  I wanted to add it to my collection of practice videos.  Between events, I spent a little time with the Soldiers Aid Society. 
 Hershell Shroud from Topeka is demonstrating a tourniquet amputation to a first year medical student.  He is role playing Dr Benjamin Woodard and his wife. Two of the most friendly and knowledgeable people you'll ever meet. What a collection of antiques that they show.
 My recent addition is a patriot apron that matches one in the Gettysburg museum's 1861 Ladies Patriotic Pinner Apron - Made by Michelle. It is a copy of the Mary Himes Fox apron of New Bethlehem, Pennsylvania displayed at the Gettysburg Museum (34 stars) . This combines my patriotic attitude and Civil War hobby.  I picked up a cap and a neck bow from the Ladies and Gents Emporium.
 
While sitting with the Soldiers Aid Society, I overheard our newest full time staff member, Todd, giving a tour in French to a couple who didn't speak any English.  Todd is not up on the tour but he sure helped this couple.  Her  is Kylee, our orphan child and daughter or our Clara Barton reenactor:
Sunday I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans.  I read to the congregation a prepared speech on who we are and many told me that I was even more clear than those that read from scripture.
I had breakfast with 2 of our Catholic War Veterans at DJ Cafe afterward.  Next training is June 29th and the TDI test is Aug 1.
Monday evening I went to a VFW meeting and updated our website.

Monday I took Sophie to dog training.  Sarah Potts was impressed with her reaction to "leave it" when it comes to food.  To work on:  stay, jumping on people and other dogs present.
The ground is so soggy that my hanging flower baskets are heavy for the shepherds hook that holds them and the lean in the soft ground.   Temporarily down for now.

No comments:

Blog Archive