Monday, February 23, 2015

My Week

Tuesday I gave a presentation to Iles School on the Soldiers Aid Society.  I passed around some hardtack.  When one of the chaperones returned it after everyone had a chance to see it, she showed me a worm that was commonly found in hardtack.  I just shook my head.  Afterward, I waited for Kat from the Old State Capitol's wardrobe room.  She said she wanted me to try something on and I could see it was my old (what I considered hopeless) Confederate Braid Dress on the dress form.  I had pretty much given up on it since the waist was not right.  I waited until 1:30.   I saw the dress on her dress form along with another.


In the evening I went to the Sangamon County Historical Society's presentation on Oak Ridge Cemetery, the second most visited cemetery in the US.  One of his slides was about the newly dedicated gate that Lincoln's hearse entered the cemetery to the receiving vault.  Michael Lely's presentation used this photo in his presentation taken by Donna Catlin.

The speaker said that this was a picture of Jon Austin and an unknown reenactor.  A few in the audience knew it was me.  I just didn't want to break the presentation.  Besides, many women during the Civil War era were not that forward.

Last Sunday, I let my son's dog out while he went to Peoria to help paint his brother's house.  I caught him eating rabbit turds.  Now, I just caught Sophie eating bunny beans too.

Wednesday I got dressed and hauled my props over to the Sangamon Prairie Reception Center as a guest of the Christian Womens Group. I believe they enjoyed my presentation but I'm my own worst critic.  I forgot my wind-down closure.  Afterward, I went to pay a bill that was late for my trash haulers still in my period dress.  I said I had an excuse but she'd probably not be interested.  I came home, changed, and was going to take in a last minute run through of senior discount day at the goodwill when I realized I left my purse at the Reception Center.  I got it and went to the Goodwill.  I didn't get too much.  I found a necklace and an aluminum folding table.  The table is a little shabby but very light weight.  

This is Ash Wednesday.  There were 3 services but I missed the first two because of my excersise class and the presentation so I went to the 6:30 service.  It was packed.  "Turn away from sin and believe in the Gospel" was said as the ashes were placed on our foreheads. 
Now I know that the Gospel says "When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites." Mathew 6 but this is "My Week" for my reminder.  Besides, this is the end of the day and I won't be a show off outside my own blog.  At the end of the service, Fr reminded us to wash it off before we lay our heads on our pillow.  

We Rise Again from Ashes

http://youtu.be/iPi9j0yuPUM 

Thursday was also very busy.  
I am part of a discussion group called Living the Eucharist at church  at 10:30.  
Then in the evening, bang bang bang in a row. 
I went to the Lincoln Monument Association meeting at 5:30PM
I went to the Veterans book group  discussing the book Soldier from the War Returning by Thomas Childers at 6:00 PM
ABATE at 7:00PM
During the ABATE meeting, Josh's daughter passed me this note.  I think she meant Rose instead of Ruth.


Friday I volunteered at the Old State Capitol in the afternoon.  I gave a few tours and got a book on the funeral from Prarie Archieves.  I took this picture in the Plaza.  Someone put a scarf on Mary Lincoln's statue. 

 My son was off of work because he was having carpeting installed.  Last weekend, both sons painted in preparation for new carpet.  Here's a before (from the realty list pictures) and after look.
A little more manly look for my son.

Saturday's workshop of our Soldiers Aid Society was canceled because of the weather.  A RECORD SNOW in Springfield! 8.9" by midnight broke the old record for Feb. 20 of 3.6" set in 1989.  By the time it ended there was 11".   We had a record snowfall for February 21.
  I shoveled and Sophie had a good time till she got cold and tiered then took a nice nap.  The temperature rose later in the day to 37 with sun so those that shoveled had a clear driveway and those that didn't until later had a heavy slush in their shovels while the sun dried mine.
I've been pulling off wall paper to paint my kitchen white.  I do a little section at a time but it's getting closer and closer to being ready for paint.  I may want to hire someone.


Saturday evening I was in a Trivia Contest with friends of ABATE having a table.  It was a fund raiser for Senator Andy Minar who helped fix the wording for our poker run bill.
 Dellanne took this.  Well we didn't win but we sure had a good time and nice refreshments.  Next time we need someone with a sports brain.

Sunday I was the first reader at Mass. It is the first Sunday of Lent and I read about God's covenant. Gen 9:8-15


Afterward I went to the ABATE swap meet at the fairgrounds. I got a nice hip bag from this vendo.
Fuzzball and Rose playing with Sophie at the swap meet.  Fuzzball is NOT the dog but a road name for the girl.

I took Sophie for Therapy Dog Test in the afternoon but nobody showed.
http://www.capitolcanine.com/calendar/tdi-testing/
I came home about 4:30 and emailed the tester and she said she canceled because of the weather and I wasn't on the list.   I had an email from Jan 23d with the date for testing.  I could say I was very disappointed but I said earlier that I feared her passing the test for "not jumping" on people too.  Next test is April 12th and fees were never mentioned.  There is a 6 month Therapy Dog Class in Springfield with Joe Blankenship for $165.  There's a one day orientation at Darnfar Ranch for $135 but does not include the certification.  It is 80 miles away.  I'm loosing my motivation fast.

Monday morning was frigged.   This will end my small supply of firewood.

No comments:

Blog Archive