Monday, September 29, 2014

My week

Fall is upon us and the trees are turning.  This summer has helped to resurrect my dying spider plant by putting it on the back porch and plenty of natural rain.  I brought out my macrame plant hanger and was so proud of myself to be able to twist out a rope that was wrong.  It took a lot of experimentation.  I don't think I could do it again.  I'm not much of a green thumb with indoor plants but I know they help oxygenate the house in the winter.  That's when I usually kill them. I am also amazed that the Christmas Cactus is going strong and growing. I also have a Boston Fern with similar issues.    It hangs over my kitchen sink in the winter but on my front porch during the summer.  I don't know where I'll place this spider plant on macrame. It had a pedestal before.
 Wednesday is thrift store senior discount day.  While out shopping, I got a short notice call that veterans were needed for a back drop for the governor's announcement of money for the Salvation Army's homeless shelter for veterans.  Yours truly at 1:10 on this video. He mentioned many of the veterans by name Including me.  Veterans shouldn't be homeless. Thanks for making it happen.
 Here is the press release with audio at the bottom of this page.
http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=2&RecNum=12652
I had a nice look around in Spirit Halloween Stoor.  Saw a guys German costume for the upcoming German dinner.
Also I  might go back for tights with scars on them for my zombi look.
 
Thursday I helped at the Old State Capitol.  I gave 3 group tours.  There were at least two starlings flying around inside.

In the evening I helped the Beddels with their computer. Apparently they lost their CD for their Nikon software and I downloaded it for them.  I also showed them how to reduce the size of those large pictures from 5 meg to 66k using a little program called Pixrisizer.  They gave me some apples from their tree.
Friday I went to a PGR flag line at Camp Butler for Gerald Raines .  After that I wanted to do my part to help with set up for Saturday's hog roast benefit for the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight.

Saturday I went to the Illiana Civil War in Danville.  I got off at the nearest exit and should have taken the next.  I ended up going all around the lake the long way.  I bought a crinoline cage that I ordered to my size when I was at the sutler in Boscobell last month.  In the evening there was a barn dance.  Since I knew most of the dances, I helped the caller as a lead.  When it came to the hat dance,  a girl who was reenacting in Union Blues tried to join the line of ladies in the dance line.  I pointed her back to the men's line saying, "they'll kick you out of the army!"  Ahhhhh, if looks could kill.

When I got home, I checked my mail and got "free mail" from a soldier thanking my for the box that I sent earlier in the month.

After church I did minor clean up at the post after the hog roast.  I did some floor sweeping and pick up but since there was only one mop and the fact that I was softening a butternut squash in the oven, I then left the small cleaning crew to come home and finish cooking.    I made Squash soup

Monday my son was in town for business so we all had lunch together with the Vet Center staff at Applebees.  I used the gift card my brother gave me and it made my day.

No comments:

Blog Archive