Thursday, September 18, 2014

My Week

My son had reported that my dryer wasn't doing it's job despite the appearance of working.  It was taking a long time and cloths were still damp.  Although it worked when the repairman got here, I had him change the coil before it really goes out.  I got 88 cents out of my dryer.  Repairs were done to my dryer for $160.

I've had lower back/hip pain for 3 days.  Thursday night I was almost in tears.  I missed our Catholic War Veterans meeting.  Friday morning I went to the clinic for a walk-in appointment. I explained that this pain seems seasonal and we did have a sudden cool down and lots of rain.  I can't think of anything I did to cause this such as a fall or something. I've been using ice packs based on previous season's with this problem. I took advantage of a walk-in clinic.  I told the nurse I knew the exercises and the cold pack but I had so much pain that I couldn't do the exercises.  I got Cyclobenzaprine,  meloxicam, and Tramadol (the strongest).  So I need to continue with that and take my pain meds.   I had a nap since they cause drowsiness.  I only needed them for Friday and Saturday and then my back pain was more tolerable so I could exercise again. 

I felt up to it (and they needed me) for the Fiery Trial by night exhibit.  I went prepared to explain how the Soldiers Aid Society aided the Widows and Orphans.  Here I am with Janet explaining (and getting empathy) from a visitor.

Saturday I went to a motorcycle show at Capitol City Motorsports.  It was then that I learned my little motorcycle was ready for pick up after an oil change and service.  Since I knew I shouldn't be riding on the medications, Leroy offered to ride it home for me.  When I got home, he told me he heard the noise at about 45 MPH that would never replicate when Cyler had it for maintenance.  However, Leroy knew that it was coming from the speedometer and I thought it was an engine noise.  That's sort of a relief.

Sunday I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans at St Patrick's Church.  Afterward I went to the State Capitol's Memorial to the fallen firefighters with some of the Red Knights that were in town for the event.

After 10 years the ceremony has quit the BIG program but a few (mostly the Red Knights MC) still gather to remember.

Monday night I went to the Honor Flight's pre-flight banquet.  Space was limited so we were asked that if we were finished and since there was no formal agenda, that we were free to leave and make space for those arriving.

Tuesday morning I got up at 3:30AM and off to the airport.  A lot of logistics by the Honor Flight staff but from our perspective it was "hurry up and wait".  That's understandable when some guardian is late.

Joan was our team leader and she warned us that there were NO LATE VETERANS ON THE BUS ONLY LATE GUARDIANS.  Well I only lost my veteran once while watching him, an unguarded wheel chair, and couldn't turn down someone's request to take a photo of them with their camera.  I looked around and he he was nowhere to be seen.  Like a mother hen I gave him hell for running off (with a cane no less).   On the positive side, this was the 5th trip for the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight this year and the first with suitable weather.  It has rained and snowed in DC.

We had a reporter along on the trip too.  On the way home we sang Happy Birthday to Alicia since she turned 25.   Here's Alicia Lewis
http://www.wics.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_19103.shtml

In DC, I was surprised to see a deer along the highway in a ditch as we went by from the bus.   I'm sure many missed that. As we left, I was pleased to see my niece, Betsy, who just got off of work from her DOD position and met me briefly at the airport between the bus and going through security. 

This flight had a number of veterans that serve on the Interveterans Burial Detail of Sangamon County.
The T Shirts are color coded as follows:  Blue is a WW2 veteran, Yellow is a Korean War Veteran, Red is a Vietnam veteran, and green is for guardians (although many of the guardians were veterans as well like myself).

I have been a member of Women In Military Service for America (WIMSA) since 1994.  I finally got to see the memorial from the bus.  I had no idea how close it was to Arlington NC.   While there, I got a call for help at the Old State Capitol for some upcoming tours.  I obliged but requested an email back up since I was away.

Tom Pasko (back) is in green because he is a guardian for his father.  Tom is not a veteran but a special member of the burial detail because he is a member of Bugles Across America.  He brought his bugle and played at all 3 of the memorials -- a first.  The other in green in front is both a member of the detail and acting as a guardian.  Well it's hard to get a picture of myself at the Lincoln Memorial without a lot of other people so here it is:

Well it's starting to get dark earlier.  I got my grass trimmed along the fence and gutter cleared. 
It's Thursday and this is being published a little later than usual.  On my way to the Old State Capitol to volunteer.  Think I'll ride the newly oil changed Yamaha if it will flip the gate in the under ground parking garage.


 

No comments:

Blog Archive