Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My Week


Tuesday evening I went to the historical retreat ceremony in front of the Lincoln Tomb. It was very hot around 99degrees and the civil war soldiers were dressed in heavy wool. The ladies that pass out tickets to be picked to receive the lowered flag usually wear their period dresses. They wimped out and wore shorts and tees. One lady, Gene and I did dress for the occasion so all the visitors took pictures of us.

Wednesday morning I saw a humming bird by my cana. I quickly filled my feeder in the front yard
My sons helped the buyer of my Piaggio load her up on a trailer to take it home to Nebraska. More space in my garage and mistake I made to buy it is corrected.

Wednesday evening I went to line dance lessons at the VFW. It was so hot that I almost didn’t want to leave the house but I knew that if I didn’t go, I’d just sit around in the heat. In fact, that’s why I skipped out on my lunchtime exercise class. It’s actually cooler in the hall than in my office.

Thursday morning my alarm didn’t wake me but that doesn’t mean I slept in. We still have the neighbor’s dog that gets me up to go outside at 5AM. The neighbor gets up earlier than I do. Dottie will start by pawing and whimpering by my bed. This never happens with my dogs because they know how to use the doggie door flap. There was a little rain this morning which was badly needed during this drought. By about 10:30 I walked on my break and the sun had come out. I felt the grass and it was by now dry enough to sit on. Need more rain!!

Thursday evening I went to an ABATE meeting.  It was one of the shorter meetings.
I got two discounted tickets that are regularly $18 for $10 to see the Lighter Side of Springfield History at the Hoogland.



It was a fair show with a few funny moments.

Friday my coworker messed with my back pack



Saturday I went to Berlin cemetery for a rededication of a marker for Butler who was in the war of 1812.  I met my American Legion Riders post 32 there but I didn't ride since I had Civil War gear in the back of the car for an event following.  I met Gene at the VFW post and then drove up to Bloomington together for the Civil War Days.  It was hot.  We got there in time to watch the Skirmish Between the Troops.

Stopped by a nice sculpture in front of the Performing Arts Center for a photo.
 I got home in time to watch our American Legion Riders Legacy Run coverage on "Cruzin' Illinois" special.  Eventually it should be posted here:  http://www.illinoiscentral.tv/

Sunday morning I found a bottle of vodka in my freezer which my son left there.  Vodka has lower calories than beer or wine.  I rode the cycle out to Jacksonville to the AMVETS post for the Division III meeting.  I remember passing the 90 degree latitude sign along I-72.  There were 16 people present including myself.  I wore my  AMVET rider vest and of course everyone thinks I'm from post 169 in Pekin but that's the home post for the riders.  A roll call was made and I spoke up for my post 61 which we probably haven't been represented in awhile.  We had pulled pork afterward.  I figured that if the meeting was boring that I would at least have a nice ride that I had been yearning and have our post counted in attendance.

Monday I got a call that was to remind me of my optometry appointment on Tuesday. That appointment was made so far in advance that I forgot. I quickly filled out a time off slip from work. In the evening I picked up some things at Joanne Fabric store for my costume projects. I came home and finished the trim on my brown felt bonnet. It sure looks better. I did break a needle on my sewing machine in the process.

Tuesday morning I got a call from a Tammy at Omnicare Pharmacy who said there is an overage payment for Francis Connolly. He passed away 4 years ago. Omincare was a nag at billing back then and said they needed more money all the time. They probably got paid twice because of the pressure they put on me and now wanted to send me a check. She referred to Francis with feminine pronouns but the feminine of Francis is Frances. Odd timing because it was just a week ago I decided that I no longer needed all these medical records and tossed them. This was a bit disturbing to take me back in time. I sure do not wish this on my heirs but there is only limited planning that I can do.






No comments:

Blog Archive