Tuesday, July 10, 2012

My Week

Thursday evening I attended a session at church called "Protecting God's Children".  The Catholics are upset too about child abuse and are education volunteers.  In addition, I had a background check.  We need to be aware of the signs and listen more. Odds that a child is as good of a liar about sexual encounters as adulterer are unlikely. 

I spent the 4th of July going to a Mass of Remembrance at Oakridge cemetery with the Catholic War Veterans.  It was too hot to do much else.  In the evening I took my little motorcycle down the street to watch fireworks with Dianne and Graham McCoy on their driveway.  It was still so hot that late that I rode those few blocks without helmet or any need for sleeves besides my tank top.

Last Saturday I was a volunteer at the Old State Capitol.  I thought I'd be giving tours but there were plenty to do that so I instead got in costume and helped embroider flags for the Womens Commission.
This Saturday, I participated in our American Legion Riders Legacy poker run.  I had my motorcycle out of the garage but couldn't get over the fact that the temperature would rise to 104.  I used to preach that it's never too hot to ride but as I get older and more feeble I decided to ride in my air conditioned cage.  As we staged for the ride, a reporter from Cruzin' Illinois TV interviewed a number of us regarding the ride and cause.  The stops planned included Harry's in Mason City, The Stag in Havana, the Trading Post in Oakford, The Last Chance in Sallisbury and back to Cheers in Springfield where we began.  However, due to the heat, we skipped Sallisbury and drew both cards back at the final stop.  Cheers put on a nice spread of beans, cole slaw, and BBQ ribs.

As I look at this picture and think of it while walking my dogs, I realize this picture is somewhat dated because of the desert camies. This man probably walks among us now. Who else could we meet on the streets of our community who have been in a situation like this?
I went to lunch with my coworkers.  On the way back, the street was blocked off for concrete work so Stewart, Michael and I were walking down the street three across like Avengers. Ok so we're all computer nerds.



After work I went to the Lincoln Tomb for the Civil War retreat ceremony.  I dressed in my widows weeds and told of my Victorian Tear Bottle and my locket of hair from my deceased loved one.  I posed for pictures for the visitors.  Laura offered me the basket to draw a name to receive the folded flag that had flown over the tomb for the week and I drew Zack from Rochester, IL.  When he came to receive his prize I saw that he was a boy scout.

No comments:

Blog Archive