Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My Week

Seems like there was a lot of food available this weekend everywhere I went.
Friday I went to a meeting for the OWLS (older wiser lovable seniors) at church as one of three acts for the entertainment.  Dinner was provided and the other two acts were singing but I did my reenactment of Mrs Major Belle Reynolds.  I wore the outfit that I had been working on and still need to add some snaps or hooks in the back.  I made a few bobbles in my presentation but suitable for the group and something to learn for the upcoming civil war encampment.  I used the antique toy musket that I got on eBay as a prop.  I had been using a colt but her diary said she was using a musket.  Most toys are real fake looking but the antique toy had steel and a wooden handle.  Here’s a link to my performance
Saturday I went on a support the troops poker run.  The weather was hot and the sign at the bank said 92 degrees.  It was nice to be joined by some of the American Legion Riders from Belleville area.  They couldn’t stay for the whole ride because they went to a PGR mission at 3PM.
Sunday morning I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans.  It’s a monthly memorial Mass and extra special because our post commander had passed on Thursday.  The priest showed off his digital cammies and boots under his hassock since he was a chaplain in the guard.  Afterward we went to breakfast and discussed the visitation and succession of leadership.
On my way home, I took a side road thru the corn field and noticed how high the corn was already.  I thought about the old saying about corn needing to be ‘knee high by the 4th of July” and it was higher than my knees on May 20th.
Then at 2:30 I went to a reunion of our Ireland trip and intro to my upcoming trip to France.  We shared pictures and stories.  Joanne who was my giggly roommate was there and said she was losing her voice which made me laugh.
Monday I took an hour off of work to go to a visitation in Taylorville for Bernie Scott, our Catholic War Veterans commander.  As a group of CWV and Korean War Veterans, in our veteran blazers and cap, we prayed and did a pass in review salute to our lost member.  After that I went to the VFW for the pre-flight banquet for the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight.
Tuesday I got chicken ‘to go’ at the VFW. There was a little old lady in a green tee shirt that saw where I got my Styrofoam box and then she got one of the small salad size boxes and put 2 pieces of chicken in the box which I thought was unusual because I used the small box for my salad and the large box for chicken and sides.  It’s “all you can eat” if you eat in and this was brought up at our meetings that some were double dipping their meals by eating in and using to-go boxes.  So I asked politely if she was getting carryout too.  She replied “it’s ok”.  Then I saw she sat down to a table with a tray full of food and two Styrofoam boxes in front.  So on my way out I mentioned it to Commander Wilson.  He seemed upset.
Later in the evening I rode over to the airport for the homecoming of the Land of Lincoln Honor Flight.  On the way there, my little Yamaha turned over the odometer to 8,000 miles.  Shortly after that, I noticed a noise when I got over 45 mph.  That’s got me worried.  Performance seems fine but the sound is like an alarm only not as shrill. It seems to abruptly start at 45-50 MPH and the sound abruptly stops decelerating about 35 MPH.  Well the flight arrival was delayed.  I had plenty of time to find a tall person to put up the welcome home banner.  The 3M Velcro strip from last month had been removed from the overhang so a member of the ground crew found some duct tape.  I also had to find a member of the Springfield Park District so I could give him a group of tickets for the Wounded Warrior Amputee Softball Tournament to be on June 9th.  I joined the Patriot Guard flag line but since the flight was late, we sat and rested awhile.  I socialized with a number of the veterans and even noticed a man with an American Legion Cap from California.  I asked him if he was from there and he said yes and he came just for this.  I got to chat with Linda, a Navy veteran while we waited.  She is the commander of the Navy Club and asked me to pass around the info on their upcoming entertainment night.  I created a facebook event for it and sent it to the Springfield Yahoo group.  She told me of a spat she had with the Auxiliary.  Apparently this disrespected her service and position.  Although they removed the disrespectful photo from their album she is yet to receive an apology.  I explained what my father told me, “Whenever someone says something bad about you, it’s really about envy”.  Linda nodded.  I still have my service and my retirement.  Well the veterans finally exited the terminal and we gathered in the flag line and welcomed the veterans home.  There were blue shirts on the WW2 veterans and yellow on the Korean War veterans.  We shook hands with a lady in a blue shirt.  We mentioned that we were both in the Womens Overseas Service League.  This lady wanted to know how Jean was. Jean Goretski is a member and has recently gone into an assisted living home.  I had trouble disconnecting the PGR flag pole from the base at the connecter. I asked John Stewart for help and he ignored me and stood there with hands folded over his fly. I started rolling up the flag with the base intact and was asked to take it apart to put the lower pole in the roll.  I explained I couldn’t get it apart and John wouldn’t help.  Then someone else came to help me.  I will remember.
I heard my son go to bed this morning so I looked at my clock – 5:15AM

No comments:

Blog Archive