Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Week

A member of the fundraiser team sent me this picture from the USO fundraiser for the Land Of Lincoln Honor Flight.
Thursday, during my lunch hour, Michael and I went to drop off a memento at the Wall That Heals in honor of Gene’s brother.   It was the ribbon that flew on the back of Michael’s motorcycle which we attached his brother’s name and a flag card.  I knew Gene would find it on his own and be surprised. He wasn’t sure who left it but knew it had his brother’s name and meant for him to find. 

I went to the opening ceremony Thursday at 6PM for the Wall that Heals.  Since I get off work at 5PM, it didn’t pay to go home so I mailed a package to a lady soldier and then got some Jamaican Jerk Chicken from the nearby shack before the ceremony. Senator Sam McCann was there.. 

At work I stuck my head into the all-male section of “Administrative Services” and all the guys started going “KAW, KAW, KAW”.   Apparently a warning to clean up the talk.

Friday I came home to an empty house because my sons went to see The Avengers.  In the evening I volunteered from 8PM-midnight at the Wall That Heals.  I’m not used to late nights but a brief nap before and the camaraderie kept me awake.  We got volunteer shirts that had collars.  I volunteered in 2007 and those volunteer shirts were of such poor quality that it washed out fast.  I slept in Saturday morning but did go back to the wall because I wanted to meet some AMVETS from Quincy on the day shift.  I wanted to thank them for taking over the Wreaths Across America in a pinch.  Although the person who headed it up was not there due to knee surgery, others from Post 104 were there and told me they were willing to do it again.  I also learned that Carol whom I first spoke with and a past IL Veteran of the Month had passed away in October.  Afterward I went to the Old State Capitol to see a presentation of “A Boy In Blue”.  It was difficult getting downtown due to the “Fat Ass 5K Run” blocking the streets.

Sunday I bought some chocolate covered strawberries from a church fundraiser.  I went to County Market to take advantage of my discount coupons.  Later my sons and I celebrated mother’s day by going to a movie.  They know I’m a Dark Shadows fan.  I was the only one in the theater dressed in vintage 70’s.  After the movie I did a little work in the garden before the sun went down.  I got a few flowers to plant for mother’s day and the ground was not quite prepared.  It had been neglected the last 2 years because of the accident and my inability to dig.  I was surprised however that the mild winter allowed some of the cana to come up because the frost hadn’t hit the roots.  That’s great news.  Those flowers attract humming birds in the fall. 

I spent time after work on Monday and Tuesday finishing the planting in my garden.  I still had unplanted tomatoes and some petunias that I got for Mothers Day and now that’s done.  I still have some housekeeping like weeds thrown to the side to be picked up and tools lying around.  At least the plants can grab the soil and get going.

Wednesday I went to a wine birthday party for Christine, a counselor at the Vet Center. 

I’ve also been sewing some neck coolers.  Left off at bedtime when my bobbin ran out of thread. 

I had some cake at the opening of our farmers market.  Yum!

No comments:

Blog Archive