Sunday, April 24, 2022

my week

I'm finally able to sleep with the window open at night.  Maybe I can shed my down quilt soon.

Monday I wanted to catch up on things since I was out of town over the weekend.  I bought a peach tree at Schnucks and put it in a hole.  Then I cut the grass.  Not all the yard but the part needed most because I had a corded electric mower that stops a lot. I'll have to do section at a time.  In addition, it stops when clogged because it exits the clipping through the rear bagger.  I'd be emptying the bagger every 5 feet so I propped it open.  Then the clipping spray directly on the operator.  High boots and work pants are in order.  I also received certificate titles from NADAC events.  I was only expecting one but some of the  virtual runs finally were evaluated.




Tuesday I took Sophie on a visit.  She loved the petting people.  In the evening I took Amber to obedience practice.  She ignored me on recall and that concerns me with an upcoming obedience trail Memorial weekend.

Wednesday evening I went to the Veterans Assistance Commission meeting.  I brought Iris with me since it was her first time on the council.  I think her background as a  JAG will be a great asset to the commission and our American Legion.  Even better is her enthusiasm to be there.  We had a vote on a significant increase in the employee wages that have been long neglected and behind other employees in Decatur and Peoria who have less workload statistics. All at the council voted in favor.

Thursday evening I went to our Catholic War Veterans monthly meeting.  I was happy to receive hearing aid batteries from Brad who says he gets more than he'll ever use with the VA provided hearing aids.  I was really glad because my commercial hearing aids from Ear to Hear just gave me only 2 cards of batteries that morning.  That may last me a month and the place is only open 2 days a week.

Friday I met with Dianna for the DAR convention to carpool to Bloomington.  I wrote a little acceptance speech but was not afforded an opportunity to speak.

Thank you so much for selecting me as the Outstanding Veteran Volunteer Award by the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR). It is better to give than to receive. Giving can be time, money, an empathetic feeling and sometimes just your presence when needed. True volunteering is selfless and is an intrinsic act of kindness. Today you bestow upon me an extrinsic recognition. There is a natural spirit of volunteerism for our fellow man. If you want something done, you have to do something about it. You can’t get away with saying “somebody should do something”. The past few years have changed the way people volunteer to include basic survival and virtual methods. I see two groups, some that got comfortable doing nothing and those that increased their opportunities to reach out to our fellow man. This is a great honor. All I know is that my ancestor, James Sturdivant, furnished a gun to the cause of the patriots fighting in the American Revolutionary War. That too is the spirit of volunteering. When I learned of this honor, my first thought was the other nominees for this award that I knew nothing about. All the folks that help at fundraising events and all the others. There are a lot of people that do little things and big things. I thank them as well and hope they are an example for others. For recognizing volunteerism, I thank you.



 
I was part of the first timers at the convention:

I'm the chapter token and trophy that didn't make the credits I guess.  That tells me that I was the chapter trophy because one of their own got recognition at the state conference.
 
I changed for the evening and many DAR ladies wear hats.  I wore my tricorn  hat and learned that it stays on better in the wind.  I guess our ancestors knew that the point in front really cuts the wind.

Saturday I helped out at New Salem for the scout weekend.  I just received an 1830s dress that I ordered on Ebay arrived just in time for the upcoming scout pilgrimage weekend.  I was eager to try it on and needed only a few minor adjustments.  Great quality in this and I was offered a $100 off by the seller for saving it to my watch list.  

I needed to freshen up on names and years for interpreting the Sam Hill house after a few years away. The house has wasps.

Showing off an attempt at period correct 1830s hairdo.

Inside the Hill House

facing the Samuel Hill house to avoid wasps.

 
The village was roaming with scouts on their annual pilgrimage.

Some musician friends in the cabin next to mine.

I was volunteering from 9 to 1:30 and wanted to try lunch at Broadgage in Petersburg since it's been on my bucket list since its remodeling.  



That evening I went to a play.  Two of the male characters were played by women. One of them had a false mustache that kept coming off but the act went on not drawing attention to the wardrobe malfunction better than I imagined.  The acting was good and the costumes were good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Windermere%27s_Fan

 

 Sunday I went to Mass with the Catholic War Veterans for a memorial Mass at St John Vianney Church.  I don't think I can say the pastor's name ( Father Fredrick Chima Mbiere!) but he was especially cordial and gave us a special blessing.  He said that he called his mother earlier because in Nigeria it's "Mother's Day".  Since Peggy didn't know the way, I picked her up and carpooled.  Afterward we had breakfast at Tasty Cafe nearby.  They were shorthanded and slow.  I think because we were a group that we were ignored even for coffee. Small tables were served and out while we waited.

Sean and I started watching Charité on Netflix. It's captioned from German to English but worth following.  It rained off and on all day.

My Wreaths Across America” has sparrow eggs.  One egg fell on the ground.  Three are blue except for one dark speckled egg.


 

Psalm 23 covers the three sacraments of initiation: water of baptism, table of communion, and anointing of confirmation.


No comments:

Blog Archive